X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heirloom Tomatoes - Yum!!!!

See available varieties

I know what I'm planting next year...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Heirloom Tomatoes - Yum!!!!

WOW,,,, Thems some Tomato's......

Comment

We had some orange heirloom cherry tomatoes this year and they were very prolific. And the taste... Oh they are so good. And they're still producing.
      We've got a purple variety growing, too, but we got it in the ground too late. We'll probably only get three ripe tomatoes from that one when all is said and done.

Comment

I HIGHLY recommend oven drying for tomatoes - and especially cherry tomatoes. Simply slice them in half. Squeeze them gently to give you a little room for what will follow. Put them on a sheet pan, drizzle lightly with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with sugar, salt, pepper, and (totally optional) very lightly with thyme or a similar herb. Bake in an oven no hotter than 250 (I usually do 175) for hours (probably 2-3 at 250, six hours at 175). Put in a freezer bag and freeze and you have GREAT tomatoes to pop onto pizzas.
        Jay

Comment

Hey jay
          Im gonna give that a shot, we had a bad summer here in New jesey for tomatoes,, too much rain and obviously not enough sun, But for some reason it did'nt bother the cherry tomatoes,, now I wish I had planted more,,, Will let ou know how it worked out
          Thanks
          Mark

Comment

I'm suddenly wishing I had a green house...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hi Mark!

The oven roasting will work for bigger tomatoes too but it is better with Romas than with Big Boys (not enough pulp). Done well they are better than all but the very best fresh tomatoes.

They are great for pizza purposes for they have less liquid and lend themselves to being scattered across the pizza so you get the "every bite is different" effect". I would not suggest storing them in oil -they are too wet and would invite bad bacteria, but you can soak them in oil for a couple of hours, add balsamic, herbs (I like herbes de Provence) and they can really be jazzed up.

Let us know how it goes!
              Jay

Comment

got any ideas for green tomato's ???

Comment

I just make salsas from green tomatoes or let them turn red....

Anybody else?
                  J

Comment

I waited for them to turn last year and they never did,, even tried the brown paper bag thing,, But salsa souds like a great idea..
                    Thanks
                    Mark

Comment

Fine cornmeal, buttermilk or egg, thick slices and a nice frying pan...

You can figure out what comes next. Green tomatoes go bye-bye!

(Are you sure the one's you had were supposed to turn red? Some tomatoes are still green when ripe.)

[/CENTER]

Comment

(Are you sure the one's you had were supposed to turn red? Some tomatoes are still green when ripe.)
                        a few turned red.... the summer was too wet and not enough sun... but now at least I have some good ideas...

thanks guys
                        Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X