***Happy Thanksgiving***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Happy Thanksgiving***

Happy thanksgiving to all my new friends here, Thanks for all your help during my build.... And the cooking help after it was done... This is a great froum and could never have built my oven properly without it....

Lets alll remember to post our pics later Maybe we should start a turkey pagent thread ???

Cheers and enjoy your holiday
    Mark

Re: ***Happy Thanksgiving***

Happy Thanksgiving! God bless, one and all!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

A turkey pageant would be lovely, but I'm at my parent's house... no wfo.

We ARE, however, having a turkey which was bagged by my dear husband. Not very large, but it will be very good eating. Maybe next year we'll have a wild turkey cooked in the wfo! (oh, the places one could go with that line....)
      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

This year I took a slightly different approach to the turkey. I've heard for years about brining, but my refrigerator isn't friendly to a five gallon bucket of brine. I read about a new technique, involving dry salting rather than brining, in this article:

RECIPE: Roast salted turkey -- latimes.com

I bought the turkey (pretty big, 20lbs) six days before the day, and defrosted it in the fridge for three days. Then I heavily salted it inside and out with ordinary seasoned salt. It sat in the refrigerator for another three days, salted, in a plastic bag, then today I rinsed it thoroughly, stuffed it, and put it in the oven on a rack in a roasting pan.

The thanksgiving schedule:

4:00 PM Wed. build first fire
        6:00 Wed make pizza
        8:00 Wed shovel out fire
        9:00 Wed door on
        7:30 AM Thur New Fire built
        10:30 Shovel out fire
        11:30 door on
        12:30 turkey in at 450f (oven thermometer in center of floor)
        2:30 rolls and casserole in at 350f.
        3:30 turkey out at 325f. (It read 155f internal temp, although my digital thermometer may be low)

The salting made a tasty, moist bird. Like baking, it just takes some pre-planning, it's not difficult.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Yum! That looks wonderful!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

David...

Good Looking Turkey....

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

Working...
            X