Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Word! Bad Word! Bad Word! Stupid Locking Bolts! Bad Word! Bad Word!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Word! Bad Word! Bad Word! Stupid Locking Bolts! Bad Word! Bad Word!

Bad Word!

I have to remove six of the things so how many work right? One! One little bolt actually fits into its little square thingie so I can loosen it! What do the rest do? Twirl around like little rusty ballerinas. Do you know how long it takes to hacksaw through 5 bolts?!

Arrrgggghhhh!!!! Bad Word!

Click image for larger version

Name:	12219.gif
Views:	2
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	315780
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Bad Word! Bad Word! Bad Word! Stupid Locking Bolts! Bad Word! Bad Word!

Just let it all out Archena!
    Go on and say it, you'll feel much better.
    Have you ever heard of a small angle grinder and those newish 1mm thin cutting blades? You can buy them for only a few dollars, they work an absolute treat and you have it for the next job, time and time again.
    We have a discount auto store called Supercheap that had 4" angle grinders (and 500W reversing hammer drills) for $9.95 with a 2 year replacement warranty. Well I bought around 12 of each for the kids, friends and spares. I still have a couple but they don't last forever but for people like you who only use them occassionally and probably much less harder than I, they will last for years.
    The 'dynabolts (those
    One little bolt actually fits into its little square thingie
    are a hardened steel and not really designed to be hack sawed!

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Sigh... One left - and I'm having to saw backwards. My elbow is gonna fall off...

An angle grinder would eat the other components (let's face it, skillful, I'm not). I'm having a hard time keeping the saw blade away from them. I don't have enough room by the nut so I'm having to saw where the washers are. Of course, had I thought of that earlier I'd have made a trip to Lowes and given it a try. (Hmm, now that I think about it, I have seen them at Fred's as well.)

Thanks for the suggestion - I will probably pick one up next paycheck. I have to go finish cutting that (*%&*&% bolt so I can get the darn swing set into the back yard*.

*It's a long story. I need storage space so I got two swing sets from the folks down the street who were throwing them out. A tarp and some pallets will eventually become involved... No, I don't always over complicate things - why do you ask?
      Last edited by Archena; 11-29-2009, 03:26 PM.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

When the need arises - I use a Dremel tool with the abrasive blades. Will cut through a bolt with no problem. If you bind the blade they will shatter fairly easy. I think Harbor Freight may have a cheap knock off.

4000 High Performance Rotary Tool / Model: 4000

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Mission accomplished!!!!

Name:	4268.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	278551

I'd like to thank Neil for his encouragement; my Dad for teaching me patience, perseverance and how to properly load and secure things!; my poor little hacksaw and its now mangled beyond recognition blade; and, of course, the Lord for all of the above!

Name:	12759.gif
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	278550

My elbow may never speak to me again... Oww... Click image for larger version

Name:	2373.gif
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	278552

[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks, Les! I'll check it out.

I still have six more on the other swing set...

Ooooooooowwwww!!!!!!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X