Burn bans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burn bans

A WFO doesn't do a lot of good on a burn ban day. Two days in a row so far. Could risk it, but don't like the prospect of a $1000 fine. I can't wait for a windy day to come and clear the air.

Re: Burn bans

I don't know how it is in your area, but locally hereabouts there are exceptions written into the burn-ban rules for ovens and cookstoves... basically, any fire which is used specifically for cooking is exempt. It might be worth looking into.
    -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Geez, where do you even hear about it (for Seattle)? I'd hate to fire up my oven and get in trouble just because I don't know any better.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
      Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

In Colorado cooking appliances are exempt from the overall ban that says you cannot install a wood burning fireplace in a new home, but they are NOT exempt from pollution based burn ban days (called red days here).

Drake
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Yeah, my impression is that the Puget Sound is similar to Colorado in that WFO's are not exempt from air pollution burn ban days. I think we can use them on Stage 1 days, but days like today (Stage 2) are completely out. Don't quote me on Stage 1 use, though.
          For those in the Puget Sound area, check out this site:
          Air Actions Status | Puget Sound Clean Air Agency

Comment

And for the record, I don't know if pleading ignorance will exempt you from your first fine. I don't plan on finding out.

*EDIT:
            You can also sign up for notification of burn bans and burn ban cancellations on the link provided above. I just did it. I think it is worth the time for anyone in Pierce, King, Kitsap or Snohomish counties.
            Last edited by papavino; 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM. Reason: Added counties affected by Puget Sound burn bans

Comment

Around here, too, you can look on the local air quality control web site for burn status.

And although you really have to look deep through the regs to find the exemption for cookstoves, it's in there. The burn bans in my city/county apply to heat, but not cooking.
              -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Here is a link to the Colorado advisory page. Looks like they got rid of the "red" and "blue" days but still have burn bans. In Colorado, this only applies in the winter.

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment: Technical Services Program (TSP)

Drake
                My Oven Thread:

Comment

Papavino,
                  I've been thinking about testing the power of the Puget Sound Air Agency. I've been told by the fire department that fires for cooking are ok. I think the real challenge is to get your fire hot quick enough so that the smoke is minimal and avoid attraction.
                  I was out at a local restaurant and they were burning wood in there WFO.
                  Cheers,

Comment

I think that restaurants are exempt from burn bans...at least in Colorado they are. The burn ban message says "residential burning restricted".

Drake
                    My Oven Thread:

Comment

Yeah, I think during fire safety burn bans, we're good to go. But during air quality, cooking fires are prohibited. But I think as long as you can get it heated up sufficiently fast, nobody will really know.

Comment

Just an FYI for those in the Puget Sound region, the burn ban was lifted yesterday. I think it's important to clarify the difference between "fire safety" and "air quality" burn bans. It could end up saving you thousands...

Comment

$1000 pizza? Hmm, could be worth it....

Not to me, mind you, but it would be fun to watch one of you do that...

Why yes, I am feeling a bit sadistic today. How ever did you know? Click image for larger version

Name:	2057.gif
Views:	1
Size:	238 Bytes
ID:	278752

I am sooooo never moving out west! Snow and aid safety alerts?! Eeekk!
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                          [/CENTER]

Comment

Re: Forno Bravo Expo 2010

I vote for the Summer time suggested by Frances. I live in Berkeley and have been making pizza in my oven forever. Want to know how someone in Monterey can have an outside wood burning oven. Up in the Bay Area we are really limited as to burning days. I would love to have a wood burning oven but don't know how much use I can make of it.

Comment

Re: Forno Bravo Expo 2010

Hi Rebecca,

There have been other postings on this topic, but you should contact your local department responsible for burn days, and explain what a wood oven is and how it works, and how cleanly they work. Wood ovens typically are not covered by burn day rules.

We are planning on having Expo next spring -- but not in the summer. The weather in the summer is terrible! The fog comes in, and it is colder in July than it is in the winter.

James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                              X