What did Santa bring you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Santa bring you?

For some strange reason, Santa was extra nice to me this year. He left me 2 REALLY useful (and greatly wanted) items and one item that is simply cool, fun, childs play
    In no particular order:

A new Extech IR thermometer - measures from -58 F to 1832 F, 30:1 distance to spot ratio. (this replaces the Extech that I partialy melted and was held together with electrical tape)

Fein Multimaster "Top" kit - Any tool nuts know what this tool does, I have wanted one for several years, just couldn't justify the high price - Apparantly, Santa could.

Last but not least, the childs play - A remote control (RC) Apache helicopter. My dogs will love trying to catch it in the back yard.

So, WHAT DID SANTA BRING YOU???

RT

Re: What did Santa bring you?

Some attachments for my Thunderbird 20 QT mixer. He got the timing a bit ahead of the game because they arrived the day before Christmas.

One thing I didn't know was that Santa uses DHL. Must be something to do with costs/schedule. I am not complaining though because that was what I really wanted.

Thank you Santa!!
    / Rossco

Comment

I too noticed Santas latest antics, we had several parcels arrive via USPS, UPS. and FedEx. he really seams to be taking the outsourcing seriosly.

RT

Comment

I got zip.....nothing at all but a pile of work!!!! (on the day).
        HOWEVER, I emailed him (or maybe it got only to one of his helpers) and they have promised to post my present when Australia Post comes back on line, first thing next Tuesday.
        So obviously, he does make mistakes but corrects them and uses many modes of delivery system.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I got cookbooks!

Mary Karlin's "Wood-Fired Cooking" "Techniques and Recipes for the Grill, Backyard Oven, Fireplace, and Campfire."

and

"The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook"

and

"The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion"

Also Santa brought a Garmin GPS for the van, which should prove useful... we recently picked up a 13 ft GRP travel trailer (used ex U-Haul, like a Scamp) and are planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in spring, before school lets out.

Hope everyone had a joyous Holiday!

Wiley

Comment

Well Wiley you must have been VERY good to get so much stuff that's all I can say!!

Neill... I have it from a reliable source (Santa's Senior Helper) that your Christmas wish will be coming true. I assume that you have been good though - as of course this is part of the rigourous evaluation process to determine your worthiness as recipient of any gifts.

Rossco
            / Rossco

Comment

Apple butter, a candle and body wash.

Oh, and a dog fight and a congested cat...

2 1/2 trip one way - and a repeat trip home...

Actually, it was a very nice Christmas.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Among other things I got 2 cool items:

Netgear wireless router
                Leatherman Skeletool CX multi-tool
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

The only thing I got for the oven this year was a cast iron skillet. It says it is seasoned and ready to use - I want to believe them.

Les...

The one that scores at Xmas these days is my dog. She got a butt load of cool toys this year - this mongo bone was from her brother (my son)
                  Last edited by Les; 12-27-2009, 08:07 PM. Reason: Added pic of my dog
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Just oil down the thing and heat it - the more seasoning the better, anyway
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Two of these:

Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
                        I got cookbooks!

Mary Karlin's "Wood-Fired Cooking" "Techniques and Recipes for the Grill, Backyard Oven, Fireplace, and Campfire."

Wiley
                        Hi Wiley,

Can you give a book report on this book, Wood Fired Cooking? Is it helpful with your wood oven? Does it provide good information for improving your skills using the oven? And a collection of useful recipes?

Thanks

And Les,

The WFO is the perfect tool for seasoning cast iron... In a hot oven (up to temp,-- fire out, -- door on), grease up the pot, and put it in the oven for as long as you want (up side down so any excess oil drips out of the pot)... Do this a few times, and the pot will look and work like an 'old' seasoned pot...

JED

Comment

Couldn't you wait until after the holidays to give poor Wiley homework?

[/CENTER]

Comment

Jed,
                            This book came as a complete surprise to me. It came as a gift from my dear wife. The other two cookbooks came from two of my step-daughters and were on a list of what I wanted for Christmas.

I'm only on page 42 of "Wood-Fired Cooking" and so far my thoughts run to thinking this is a book for coffee table as well as perhaps the kitchen. Although I photocopy recipes from books when actually preparing the recipes...helps to keep the books clean.

Including the index there are 200 pages to the book. It's an artsy book with lots of well done pictures and some recipes that look interesting. It's a bit early to give a final verdict on the book as a whole. But there is at least one recipe I plan on trying.

The author includes the "Pan a l'Ancienne" recipe from Peter Reinhart's "Bread Baker's Apprentice" and one would assume she has his permission for that inclusion. This book is published by Ten Speed Press the same people who do Peter Reinhart's books.

Hope this helps,
                            Wiley

Comment

I got the wood fired cook book, plus a book on cob and earth ovens AND $150.00 gift cards for Harbor Freight..... What toy can I buy for myself now....

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X