Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***burning pallets***

hello all,
    This was started in another thread, I never knew pallets contained insectiside,, I have burned them quite a few times, After doing some research, I think ?? that only the pallets used for export contain insectiside,,, Please read the following,,,
    ISPM 15
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

An example of a stamp used on pallets to indicate ISPM 15 complianceISPM 15 is an International Phytosanitary Measure developed by the IPPC that directly addresses the need to treat wood materials of a thickness greater than 6mm, used to ship products between countries. It affects all wood packaging material (pallets, crates, dunnages, etc)requiring that they be treated with heat or fumigated with methyl bromide and marked, often branded [1], with a seal of compliance. This seal of compliance is colloquially known as the "wheat stamp". Products exempt from the ISPM 15 are made from alternative material, like paper, plastic or wood panel products (i.e. OSB, hardboard, and plywood).

The Revision of ISPM No. 15 (2009) under Annex 1 [2], requires that wood used to manufacture ISPM 15 compliant Wood Packaging must be made from debarked wood not to be confused with "bark free wood"[3]. ISPM 15 was updated to adopt the bark restriction regulations proposed by the European Union.
    If I understand correctly the pallets with insectisde are marked with the picture below,, If anyone can elaborate further, please do so

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM.

Re: ***burning pallets***

I know that all the crates & pallets that we use for international shipments are all heat-treated and are stamped with "HT" on every piece of wood over ~12-inches long.

Chuck

Comment

We import Mexican brick on pallets and they were NOT treated. We had bug traps on the yard for a couple of years with regular inspections, but no infestations. Personally I would not burn pallets since they are usually very green, often painted and sometimes contaminated with what ever they were used for, to say nothing of treatments.

Comment

We import Mexican brick on pallets and they were NOT treated. We had bug traps on the yard for a couple of years with regular inspections, but no infestations. Personally I would not burn pallets since they are usually very green, often painted and sometimes contaminated with what ever they were used for, to say nothing of treatments.

edit-The Mexican brick makers DO burn pallets in their brick clamps though.

Comment

Mark, this is not the first time this topic has come up and is very much debatable.
          There are standards now in place concerning the construction and treatment of pallets.
          HT (heat treating) seems to be the proper treatment for bugs and would not cause you any harm.
          The problem as I see it, is pallet repair and recyclers as well as many large companies who recycle their own pallets. It has been quite a few years (about 15+ to be exact), but I knew a shipping manager for a pretty large manufacturer when I live in Ohio. They recycled their own pallets as well as any they received from inbound shipments. He gave me several pallets upon request with one stipulation - DO NOT BURN, we treat them with insecticide, fungicide, and sealer because they are stored in the open 'yard'.

Since moving to FL, I was told the same thing by a big sod dealer. Sod companies actually charge you up to a $40 deposit per pallet here.....they want them back, and they want them to last. The pallet industry has become big business, and expensive for those who ship alot.
          The pallet manufacturers may be 'policed' and have standards to uphold, but the rest of the shipping industry (especially local shippers who recycle) can get away with doing whatever they want with them.
          Long story short, if you know the source and can decipher the industry codes, you are probably safe. Me, I have severe allergies and have exposed myself to enough toxins in my life. I will spend a few bucks and buy wood first.

RT

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I get free wood from a couple of pallet makers on my way to work. The scraps are great for starting my wood stove and usually small enough that I don't need to cut them. Even though I don't believe they treat them I think this is a much better use than cooking with it. I will keep these two separate.

Comment

Working...
            X