Need Dog Care During Snow Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Dog Care During Snow Advice

There's an inch and a half on the ground with predictions of 4 to 7 inches. I realize that's nothing for a lot of you guys but it's more snow than we've seen in years and if it hits 7 in, more than I've ever seen in Alabama. Three inches shuts down the state - I'm off work today because of the weather. No one owns snow gear of any kind - it rarely snows and almost never stays more than a day.

Okay, here's my question: my kennel isn't heated and I don't leave the dogs out on cold nights. Conversely, the crates are a bit small because they've outgrown what I have. So I don't want them inside more than necessary (crating is not optional) but I also don't want to leave them out too long. They're all 40 - 60 lbs - not big but not small either. Two are short hairs with thick coats and the third is a short hair with a thin coat. How long is a good ball park before bringing them in for a few hours?

I do have a fourth dog but he's an older arthritic beagle with deformed legs so he definitely doesn't stay out much past the 'getting his business done' stage. But he's no where near as active as the other three so it's not a problem with him.

Help?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Need Dog Care During Snow Advice

Hi Archena,

I think that if you provide a dry, draft free space, with a suitable 'bed' that the limit on how long the dogs can stay comfortable outside is more a question of how long you want to sleep... The dogs will be fine, if they have a place they can 'nest' in....

My bench mark may be a bit skewed on the subject...

As a volunteer on the Iditarod, I was in several villages where the local dogs (not the racing dogs) are chained to a place on the ground, many with out any 'house' or 'bed', and they were 'surviving' in true arctic conditions. I wouldn't wish that situation on any animal. A responsibility of pet owner ship is giving the darn animal what it needs to take care of itself... And the dogs will do fine with a dry, draft free, bed... (and of course appropriate food, water, exercise and attention!) These are the descendants of the wolf!

One opinion...

JED

Comment

Thanks. Unfortunately, 'dry' isn't an option in those kennels - they are positioned just perfectly to get every drop of water to be had. It might be okay if they would share houses but they can barely share the backyard!

It worked out okay. I had them out most of the day and brought them in a couple hours. I'll bring them in again in a little while - assuming I don't kill myself on the steps.

I don't do cold and I really don't do snow! If I wanted snow, I'd move north.

But it was pretty...

Anyway, thanks again - I really appreciate it.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Archena,

over here when cold, people put into the top of their kennels, a light globe or a ceramic heater (they get warm to hot but not red hot if controlled), to keep the snap cold away from their pets.
        However, the kennels must be waterproofed first or they might get electricuted.
        Another way would be to put an electric blanket beneath their bedding but left only on the lowest setting.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks, Neill.

If I had power down there I'd put lights in the doghouses. My Daddy used to do that - the incandescent bulbs were plenty warm in such a small space. Electric blankets wouldn't work - I can't get it dry enough. It would be a good plan if it were dry enough, though.

Well, the puppies are in for the night - and I'm bushed! Thanks again, guys!

[/CENTER]

Comment

I would try hay or straw it will give some insulation even if it gets a bit wet or a wool blanket. What kind of dog is your shorthair? I have a boxer and she never gets a chance to get her winter coat since she is a indoor dog, even then boxers really shouldn't be left out in the cold winter. Hope that helps. Oh by the way I rescued a beagle that it still in SE Illinois and needs a home if your interested. His name is Buddy,he is very sweet and needs lots of lovin. He was abused and will only let you pet his nose but is not aggressive at all just shy. He is about 4 years old. Would love to find him a forever home.
            Carol
            Last edited by doughforthesoul; 02-18-2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Not sure about the short hair - I forget now what breed the vet was speculating about.

I've maxed out - no more space in the kennel. Truth is, I'm better rehabilitating cats than dogs so I wouldn't take an animal that needs a lot of work - it's not fair to the dog when I know I'm not very good with that kind of dog work.

Now, killer kitties, that's another story. I've scared my vets more than once handling cats they weren't willing to try. My doctor has questioned my sanity a couple times but actually I very rarely get bitten (the last time it was handling a panicked cat - if I'd let go she would have ended up dead. Five years later she's still not dead. ).

[/CENTER]

Comment

Okay, I understand about the cat & dog thing. I used to have cats until I got a dog and now I find myself only wanting dogs. Let me know if you come across anyone who is looking for a sweet beagle.
                Do you have a bread oven or pizza oven?
                Carol

Comment

Originally posted by doughforthesoul View Post
                  Okay, I understand about the cat & dog thing. I used to have cats until I got a dog and now I find myself only wanting dogs. Let me know if you come across anyone who is looking for a sweet beagle.
                  Will do.

Originally posted by doughforthesoul View Post
                  Do you have a bread oven or pizza oven?
                  Carol
                  Neither - I'm still a wannabe. Evey time I get close to buying my own place something else goes wrong - but someday there's a cob pizza oven in my future and if that works out, a brick bread oven a few years behind it.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                  X