Seattle source for the unusual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle source for the unusual

Those in and near Seattle will find a visit to Big John's PFI worthwhile.

They are sort of hidden away but offer free parking (a real plus in Seattle these days). I was turned on to them by a friend who works in an ethnic restaurant. Big John's is just outside the International District not far from Uwajimaya Market (slick, updated, modern, pay to park although they validate with purchase). Big John's is south of Seattle Blvd. in the industrial area, (think old buildings).

They are a source for unusual ingredients a great many of which are available for purchase in bulk. By that I mean if you want to buy a teaspoon full or a couple of pounds they can accommodate you. They offer a large variety of spices at good prices with helpful friendly staff.

They have several brands of Italian pizza flour available in bulk or you can purchase large 50ish pound bags (although I'm sure they are measured in kilos not pounds). And for those who grind their own flour, they offer several varieties of wheat. They offer two types (light and dark) rye flour.

Their cheese counter is a treat.

Several shelves devoted to pasta in shapes I've seen in books and have been served in restaurants but not offered for sale in "regular" food stores. Black noodles made with squid ink... that sort of thing.

Here's a scan of their card: Their website needs work but their store is a treasure.
    Hope this helps,
    Wiley

Re: Seattle source for the unusual

Wiley,

Thanks for the tip. 2016 will be our last year attending the PAC-12 swim conference meet and won't miss visiting PFI. From the list of products they carry, I wish we'd known sooner!

John

Comment

I ran across this post recently and although I've been in the area since 1971 had not even heard of Big John's. Sadly within a week of reading the post I saw that Big John had passed. There is a very nice obituary that talks about his life and passion for good food.
      For more than 40 years, he ran Pacific Food Importers, purveyor of Mediterranean specialties.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
      X