• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Heat Stop 50***

Hello All...

RE:Heat Stop 50 "from their website"

Just wanted to get some opinions on this,,,
    1. Q. How long should we wait after installation before heat may be applied to fireplace or chimney?
    A. With regard to firebrick, clay flue lining or any of the Heat Stop refractory mortar products simply wait one day after all of the masonry in the fireplace or chimney has been installed.
    Heat Stop - High Temperature Resistent Refractory Mortar

Above is the link to their site.. I cured thru all the fires and waited 21 days as well,,, Does anyone think this is reasonable what they are saying ?? Maybe only for a more open fireplace and not a brick oven,,, If it is true it would sut a lot of curing time off your build...

Lets hear some opinions.....

Cheers
    Mark

Re: ***Heat Stop 50***

This is a repeat of what I posted on the other thread:
    1. Q. How long should we wait after installation before heat may be applied to fireplace or chimney?
    A. With regard to firebrick, clay flue lining or any of the Heat Stop refractory mortar products simply wait one day after all of the masonry in the fireplace or chimney has been installed.
    I'm not sure about this
    Nor should you be. This may be true of the standard less-than-1/8 inch refractory mortar joint, but not for the kind of work we're doing. I used heat-stop and put it through the whole week (+) cure and drying fire schedule.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Has anyone gathered info on safety of using this product where your food is going to be cooked? What is it made from ?
      WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

Here's the link to the material safety data sheet:

http://www.heatstoprefractorymortar....AT-STOP-50.pdf

and the product data sheet:

http://www.heatstoprefractorymortar.com/heatstop50.pdf

Usual PDF alert.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Yeah, I think the assumption is less than 1/2" of mat'l for joints or just a thin coat.
          Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

1/4" for fireplaces in the US. It is a good idea to cure it slowly anyway with HS. With the wet-mix refractory, the sooner you put the heat to it the better.

Comment

Would 1/4" be an appropriate joint size for an outdoor firebrick firepit apprx 3'x4'x14"?

Comment

Sure, but the 1/4" is the maximum, not the recommended.

Is it over concrete or something, or on the dirt?

Comment

My firepit design incorporates a concrete base which I built using standard 1/2" rock aggregate augmented with firebrick chips and leftover fireclay from cutting my brick pavers. There is #2 rebar that goes around the center of my firepit base.

The firebrick are standard 9x4.5x2.5" bricks manufactured for fireplaces. I got them for $.15 apiece as seconds because the wide side of the brick has a hole that goes all the way through the brick. Hence, the following design that hides the 'face' of the brick'. I originally bought them to use on my oven thinking I would be cutting the bricks in half and could place the 'holey' side on the outside of the dome. Bad move?

Comment

It looks good to me, just be sure to include a path for water to leave the pit.

Comment

Thanks Tom. I didn't think of that.

Comment

Here is my favorite fire pit. A friend built it on a hill on some property out west of Austin where we go camping.

It is big enough for a bonfire, but also big enough to build a small fire and sit on the edge of the pit. It has a small grill built into the side as well. I am trying to talk him into an oven for the campsite.

Comment

Simply beautiful. I especially like the staggered seating. Is there a formula to configure a 'normal' seating distance?

Comment

Sure, build a fire the size you plan on burning and stand around it till you find the comfort zone(s). That is what we did.

Comment

Working...
                            X