Making an Insulated Door from FB Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making an Insulated Door from FB Board

I am wondering about gluing FB board to a piece of plywood or other wood to use as an insulated door for sealing my oven for heat retention and for a somewhat airtight seal for keeping steam in the oven for bread baking. Does this sound like a feasible idea? How hard is it to cut FB board?

My main reason for doing this is that a piece of the doorway to my oven broke off leaving a 1" hole which is not covered by the steel door. By making an insulated door just a bit bigger I will be able to cover this hole. I have tried multiple times to cement this piece back in place only to have it eventually come loose again.

Re: Making an Insulated Door from FB Board

I think you want to encapsulate that FB board inside something like 2 pieces of stainless steel. You don't want to take a chance on breathing that stuff.

Comment

The FB board cuts with a razor knife or handsaw.
      My door started out as two pieces of tile backer board with a scrap piece of the FB insulation board between, all wrapped up in aluminum duct tape. Neither the tile backer or the tape are very heat proof, but it did the trick for a couple of weeks. Eventually I took the whole thing to a welding shop and had it remade in steel.

Comment

I have FB board on a cut out sheet of plywood. I bolted it onto the plywood with two thin bolts. I thing glue wouldn't hold the stuff is crumbly.

I intend to cover the FB board with thin aluminum to keep it from falling apart.
        My oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...and-13300.html

Comment

Well, Affordable will get his post deleted quickly... blatant link ads.

Anyways, are you using refractory cement to patch? If not, that is definitely why it isn't working.
          My oven (for now):
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Hi,
            What do you think about the vermiculite board which is a fantastic alterative to fire bricks,as it's easy to cut to size with ordinary carpentry tools.Also useful for five shields and register plates.
            Where there is a will,there is a way.

Comment

Working...
            X