home brew refractory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home brew refractory

hello everyone , need to make some refractory mortar for a little patching, can anyone guide me to a thread that shows a home brew with an S or N type of mortar mix by adding fire clay? need ratios

Thanks

Re: home brew refractory

1 portland
    3 sand
    1 lime
    1 fireclay

This is on page 75 of the plans

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

thanks Les, but I was thinking about using S or N type mortar mix and adding fire clay to make it refractory out of it is it poss.? there was a thread someone posted on the amount of fireclay to add to S or N , had it on my notebook but the comp. got a virus and wiped out all my Docs.

thanks

Comment

I've seen a couple threads discussing use of the S or N type cement but don't know how to find them on short notice...

If you want refractory home brew per per the pompeii oven plans, you'll need to use ciment fondu (calcium aluminate) instead of portland. I believe experts here have posted portland as one ingredient in S & N type bags. I'm using ciment fondu and home brew recipe because of James' report that the mixutre heats faster and holds heat better than the home brew with portland in it. HTH

This thread & this thread discuss what you are after, read down quite a ways.

This may be your answer....?
        Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
        Not really sure how I missed this posting and apologize for it...type N masonry cement is mixed at 50/50 portland to lime as is portland lime mix...in this instance it should be 2 parts cement 1 fireclay and 3 sand...that is exactly what I used for our oven build and it dried nice and hard quite quickly...although we haven't fired it yet I am confident in it as a mix...that will also work well for rendering the dome if that is how you plan to finish it as the type N is a bit stickier than other types of mortar...for the render you can add more sand...typically type N gets anywhere from 6 to 9 parts sand when being used to lay brick

Best

Dutch
        Last edited by Lburou; 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
        X