Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Floating Foundation Plans for Shed Floors

Floating Foundation Shed Floor System - www.shedfloors.com

Looks pretty cool - even has a material cost calculator. Anyway, I thought I'd share.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Free Floating Foundation Plans for Shed Floors

So lame I won't even comment. Don't go this way for anything other then the little shed they show a picture of. Then your local home supply has all those materials so don't fall for the "KIT" or "SYSTEM" thinking this is something special.

Sorry...Faith

Comment

Um, it's only for sheds - they don't make any claim otherwise.

Also, they don't sell the materials - other than the blocks and not even directly. You're supposed to get your own materials. They only offer the plans and the materials list.

Granted, it's a promotion from the manufacturer but it's not a direct sell - you can get any supplies you like. You download the plans directly - that's all they give you.

You didn't even read it, did you?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

I said I was sorry. Yes I did read the promotion. I still think it's lame. Look ... I am a professional contractor and licensed builder that builds high end custom homes. I will tell you now it would be cheaper and easier to build a normal foundation rather then throwing a bunch of blocks on the ground. A sucker is born everyday and people that have no idea how to build things will fall for gimmicks such as this. I could go on and on about the pro's and con's of this but really it does not have much to do with WFO"s. Enough said, sorry if I upset you.
        Faith
        Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM.

Comment

You're entitled to your opinion - but the way you stated it sounded like you were arguing against something it wasn't. The tone didn't help, I'll admit, but I'm not upset.

I live in Alabama - pier foundations were once the norm and it's still very common to see them in older homes. Better, actually, because the air flow made it somewhat easier to cool (heat, not so much). I can think of a few advantages to not having to pour a pad (cost not being the least of which) so while certainly not for every application, someone else might find it helpful. Since I need to be able to disassemble the thing, it's very useful to me.

Let's try this again. Hi, I'm Archena. Nice to meet you.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Nice to meet you as well.

Sorry for the harshness... your right about my tone. I am forced to deal with this kind of thing on a regular basis. Ideas sold to the uneducated then I am forced to deal with the aftermath. In my area any structure larger then 10'x10' requires a building permit and subject to inspection by the building official (even small sheds) so that system would not pass local building codes. If you think you can sneak up a structure without the required permit...they scan satellite images looking for new roof lines. So if you got caught with that system around here you would be forced to dismantle and rebuild it.

My main issue is a storm wind could make that shed a deadly moving / flying object.

Ok off my soap box... have a great night

Faith

Comment

Actually, it includes instructions for the tie down and to check on permits. To be fair, it's in the instruction booklet pdf so you wouldn't have seen it without downloading that. And it probably doesn't emphasize the need for a tie down enough.

But I certainly understand having to deal with stuff - for me it's trying to convince teenagers that STDs are not a good thing and that yes, it can come back to haunt you, assuming we can cure it in the first place. I love banging my head against a wall, really I don't...

Anyway, have a great night yourself!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Well, I'm a shed builder and I don't think these things are helpful. The biggest thing someone can do to prevent the floor rotting out is provide air circulation under the floor. That's the thing these blocks do, without coming out and saying that. I've got other suggestions that aren't as labor intensive for shed base prep that work out.
                Over here, for the most party people can build up to 120 sq ft without a permit. Some cities require a permit no matter what you do, as they just want some more of your money. Anyways, I wish someone would post a free link to my site.. that would be a bonus.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming... WFO's!!
                My oven (for now):
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Um, guys - this is the General Building and Construction section:

General Building and Construction
                  General Building and Construction at the Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community Questions and answers on everyday building topics, from flooring to electrical; plumbing to drywall.
                  As for your site, you can post the link in your sig (I'm pretty sure*) and you can always ask James for permission to post it somewhere.

*Okay, I'll be double checking that myself. I belong to too many forums and I need to make sure I didn't get the rules mixed up.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Is that Dorothy and Toto I can see peeking out from that window looking at the coming tornado?
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Tuscaloosa Tornado “Obliterates” Part Of The City [Video]

Tornado Death Toll | Tornado deaths: Death toll at 340 and rising in wake of tornadoes - Los Angeles Times

It's gonna be a while before I find tornado jokes funny. Faith is absolutely right about the tie down.

Besides, that doesn't look a thing like Dorothy....

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post

It's gonna be a while before I find tornado jokes funny.
                        Sorry, I completely understand how you feel, I went through the same feelings after the big bushfire that hit here in 2009.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

No prob - real natural disasters take all the fun out of it, don't they?

[/CENTER]

Comment

I just noticed this thread.
                            I am in the middle of building a roll-off roof observatory from scratch on an asphalt lot in my back yard. It's basically an 8x10' shed with a roof riding on casters.
                            Anyway, none of the footings (about 8 total) will be anchored, they'll all be sitting on asphalt.

George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Working...
                            X