motar mix...worries..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motar mix...worries..

I built my dome using a mix of 1 part portland cement, 5 parts lome (sand with some clay in it) and 1 part lime. I also used second hand red brick. It has been about a week since i finished building and the dome still smells of motar. I have fired it twice.
    I got the mix out of a book by Russell Jeavons. I am worried that the portland cement mix and the old bricks may be toxic (old bricks came from a chimney - i think) and that i may have to knock my beautiful dome down and start again. Any thoughts? Will the smell go away? Is the mix OK? Bricks OK?

Re: motar mix...worries..

Lome? You mean loam, like topsoil? If that's the case you probably have some organic matter that's stinking the place up. There are people who successfully build ovens from mud and straw, so I think the smell should go away with repeated firings.

And yes, ordinary red brick is perfectly safe, unless it chips or spalls and pieces get in your food.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The loam (lome) here is used by builders to lay mortar. It is basically reddish/darkish sand with clay. Not sure of the ratio but at least 80 to 90 percent sand. It is a fine sandy feel when dry but sticks together well when wet.

I was more worried about whether or not I should have used portland cement.
      Last edited by The Darling Dome; 09-15-2011, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Darling Dome View Post
        The loam (lome) here is used by builders to lay mortar. It is basically reddish/darkish sand with clay. Not sure of the ratio but at least 80 to 90 percent sand. It is a fine sandy feel when dry but sticks together well when wet.

I was more worried about whether or not I should have used Portland cement.
        No problem with Portland cement. Do a google search and you will find no health problems with it. Oder should go away with time and firing it more

Comment

Wilcannia hey, Im heading out that way soonish to White Cliffs for opals.

Loam is a term used in various parts of Oz for Brickies sand.
          The mortar and bricks will be fine, never heard of either being toxic.
          The smell will go away once the oven is cured, two firing wont be anywhere near enough to cure it.

Id love to drop in and have a look on the way up north, I just dont know when Ill be up there?
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

"Loam" over here is dirt. Of course mortar is called "Mud"...

Comment

Working...
            X