Wateproofing & steam vent in dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wateproofing & steam vent in dome

Hi all. I am about to seal my oven dome with a sealer to keep rain out. It is a Bondcrete product and is elastic and waterproof.

How important is it to have a vent hole in the outer render to let any moisture escape as the oven heats up?

I have a hole that goes through to the oven chamber (were i insert a thermometre) about half way up the dome (about 2cm in diameter). I am wondering if I need a second hole drilled in the top that penetrates the render to let out any steam.

Thanks
    Jase

Re: Wateproofing & steam vent in dome

Originally posted by pizzahead View Post
    I am wondering if I need a second hole drilled in the top that penetrates the render to let out any steam.
    And that lets more water in?

Where is the steam coming from in the first place?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Once your oven is dry and the outside waterproofed it doesn't mean that it won't get wet inside again. After months of rain and no use the refractory will gradually suck moisture into itself, let alone water that has penetrated into the oven via driving rain into the entry. Igloo ovens are more prone to picking up more moisture than enclosure types. If you have waterproofed the outer shell then you are also locking in moisture. A vent at the top is a good idea IMO but put a lid on it so water won't get in through it.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

My vent at the top of the dome is simply a 1 inch diameter hole in the stucco (thru to the insulation). To keep precipitation out, this is covered by a loose fitting 6 inch copper plate shimmed up slightly and glued in three spots with acrylic chalking (any construction glue will do)

You can find these decorative plates in used stores / thrift stores very cheaply. They were all the rage 40 years ago as wall hangings.
        Last edited by Neil2; 06-22-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

When the water turns to steam it will eventually get out whether you have a vent or not. As David points out the oven WILL get wet - cement absorbs water from the air if nothing else. The good thing about a vent is it gives the steam a more direct way out - but it is likely to simply condense in the outer areas of your insulation and that will stay damp until you fire it enough to drive it out! I see advantages and disadvantages. Not a clear topic to me.
          Jay

Comment

Having cracked a couple of outer shells in early firings (I don't use blanket because of the safety issue and use vermicrete instead which contains tons of water) I deduced that it was steam pressure build up, remember that one litre of water creates 1000 litres of steam, so I now have a vent system around my flue pipe that allows moisture or steam out of the insulating layer. I haven't cracked an outer shell since.

Comment

Great thread!
              I have seen all of this before but, the timing is perfect to reinforce the venting idea for me . I did use the blanket however, I intend to add about 4 more inches of vcrete. I also used vcrete to insulate my flue liner brick form the face brick. The face brick seemed to look dry soon after laying, but the firebrick liner imediately shown signs of mosture from the inside. And, still do. I have left areas for the flue to exhaust moisture, and I will definately leave some kind of vent for the apex of the dome.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                I will definately leave some kind of vent for the apex of the dome.
                But isnt your oven underneath a roof? if so why vent as there will be no moisture getting in.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gulf, if you have a roof over your oven you would be better not to waterproof the outside shell, so that it can breathe.
                  If you are doing vermicrete make sure you eliminate the water before you do the outside shell.One inch layers with a week between each to dry out works pretty well to get rid of the bulk of it.
                  Last edited by david s; 06-23-2012, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Al,
                    I guess that I want to install a vent just to be on the safe side. That is just in case that I don't drive all the water out of the vcrete before rendering. The 90% plus humidity in my area may be a factor . I don't know if it would be necesary to have one under a roof, but it seems like a simple feature to add .

David,
                    As for as waterproofing goes, I don't think mine will be exactly that. I am going to eventualy cover the dome with old brick splits. In my case I think that I will cut, but not mortar, the plug brick at the top. Neil's vent cover and vent hole through to the insulation sounds like a classy way to go .
                    Last edited by Gulf; 06-23-2012, 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

All useful tips and ideas, I love this site.

I already have a "vent" where steam could work its way out where I insert my thermometer. This is about half way up the dome. Do you think this would be enough or should I also have a hole at the top?

Applied the waterproofing yesterday, and guess what? It absolutely hammererd down rain all night (not forecasted). Think someone standing on the roof and hosing my oven with a Karcher and you will have an idea of the rain. Absolute disaster and have to start again (once I clean up the mess).

Happy days.

Jase

Comment

This is just my personal opinion. A vent will work the best if it is at the apex of the dome. I think that any vent, any where, will relieve pressure. But, the apex is the place to relieve moisture.

Comment

Working...
                        X