Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heat stop premixed mortar

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
    .....Do you think that the 4" of Perlcrete under the hearth floor is fine? I know more is better, but elevation wise, 4" works.
    I think that 4" of perlite (no greater than 5 to 1) will work great! as long as it is allowed to, and and also kept dry .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Ok, thanks. I was planning on a 4:1 or so and will use a vapor barrier between the slab and it. Also, will do my best to keep it all dry.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

You can go leaner for a greater insulating value.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

By "leaner", I'm assuming you mean more Portland and less Perlite? Or the other way? I'm not real familiar w/that term, although I've heard it before. Some people use that term differently. Since the Perlite "slab" will be holding up the entire weight of the oven, I want it to be able do so effectively. What ratio are you proposing, just so I understand you correctly? And thanks for helping a greenhorn.
          My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
            By "leaner", I'm assuming you mean more Portland and less Perlite? Or the other way? I'm not real familiar w/that term, although I've heard it before. Some people use that term differently. Since the Perlite "slab" will be holding up the entire weight of the oven, I want it to be able do so effectively. What ratio are you proposing, just so I understand you correctly? And thanks for helping a greenhorn.
            A lean mix in masonry refers to less portland or binder to aggregate. Perlite or vermiculite is the aggregate in an insulating mix. I went 5 or 6 :1 on all my builds. Tscar had some kind of compression value chart he posted at one time, I don't have it though. But I'm pretty sure you would be ok at 8:1
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'd like to obviously have it be strong enough to hold the weight, but get as much insulation value as I can. I'll go with either 5 or 6 for now. I'll also try and find that info from TScar. I know more is better, but in your personal opinion, is 4" sufficient? That elevation works best for us, but if it makes a huge difference, I could go a bit thicker. Perhaps going leaner helps make up for the thickness, thereby raising the R value (?) So, say if I stuck w/the 4" thickness, but went leaner to say, 5 or 6:1, it makes a good bit of difference, if I follow you right. Makes sense to me. I've never worked w/this material, it's all new to me. I appreciate your info.
              My Build:

Comment

Also, if I remember correctly from earlier reading, the components should be thoroughly dry mixed prior to adding the water, right?
                My Build:

Comment

That the way it's normally done...avoids the portland getting clumps.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I would assume that. Everything else I ever mixed was dry mixed. Just wanted to be sure. And try to fold it over when mixing to avoid chopping it all up, right?
                    My Build:

Comment

Yes...........
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will probably get around to getting some Perlite and Portland this week after I raise up the forms. I'm still not sure if I want to go thicker yet. I'll probably stick to 3.5" and mix it at a 5 or 6:1. Once I mix it all up, get it in, etc., is there any advantage to covering it up for awhile,or not? I still have the slab covered (it's still as green as the day it was poured) and will keep the moisture barrier in between the two "slabs".
                        My Build:

Comment

I would only cover for a day or so, then let the sir and sun start working on it.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Ok. Thanks again. How long, in your opinion, should I allow the Perlite dry and air out before I start building on it? I know temps, etc come into play, but on average, how long is long enough? I'm not in a hurry, just anxious.
                            My Build:

Comment

A week or so. Sooner if you leave the form on.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

A lean mix in masonry refers to less portland or binder to aggregate. Perlite or vermiculite is the aggregate in an insulating mix. I went 5 or 6 :1 on all my builds. Tscar had some kind of compression value chart he posted at one time, I don't have it though. But I'm pretty sure you would be ok at 8:1
                                I agree. I went with an 8:1 vermicrete 'slab', mostly because it was right in the middle of the ratios (4:1 - 12:1) reported here. After installing the vermicrete under 2" of CF board, I placed some of the last batch surplus into a round butter container and let it dry (3 days).

Even at 8:1, the test 'disk' (6" diameter by 1" thick) was surprisingly rigid and very difficult to compress with my thumb. It had the consistency of one of those puffed rice crackers. I could break an edge off quite easily, but when I placed an 8x8x16 CMU on top of the disk edgewise, it didn't budge.

Comment

Working...
                                X