Smooth coat over existing drywall texture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smooth coat over existing drywall texture

I talked with the plaster company today, and they agreed that I started working on the compound layer before it was hard and dry. Oh well. I have re-coated the trial spot with joint compound, and now I have to wait for about a week. The gold plaster (oro) on the wall is hidden again.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Wallpaper is evil

Comment

Hey Ken,
        The Baldini Vernici plaster arrived this week. It is very dense, and saturated with color. I have the same color in three different sample plasters, ranging from a true Venetian plaster, to a marmorino, to a rough interior/exterior plaster. It's a fun reminder; all of the instructions and marketing brochures are in Italian.

I am wondering if the exterior plaster would be a good option for outdoor kitchens. I'll let you know how the tests go.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,
          Good luck with the Venetian plaster. I used the fine marmarino in my basement. Lots of work!!! My hands were blistered from the burnishing. I'm pretty happy with the results, though it's nowhere near as good as those guys I watched in the video I got when I bought it. I'm glad I did many sample boards before I put it on my wall. I didn't want to do it because I didn't want to waste it but I'm glad I did.

While I enjoyed the process, I have to admit I'm enjoying applying the Sto stucco I'm now applying to my outdoor kitchen. So much easier to work with, love this stuff. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it once you're done. Pictures too.
          Karen

Comment

James-
            We've been remodeling an old farm house for about 12 years that was full of wallpaper. Really bad wallpaper. We've rented a wallpaper remover that shoots steam through a flat head onto the paper. It works pretty well, but only if you score the paper first so the steam can get to the glue. You can buy a scoring tool at any paint store/home center. The best thing we've found for glue removal is an enzyme type concentrate. Mix it with the hottest water you can stand and scrub the glue with a plastic kitchen sbrub pad. Wipe it down with clean water when done. I'm intrigued by RT's old joint compund idea, but FORTUNATELY we are out of wallpaper to remove.

I hate to mud and finish drywall, so given a choice I would always remove the glue and repair any minor defects left in the surface. Make sure that you prime the wall before painting it. If you do have to do a full skim on the wall go with thin coats and let them dry for 24 hours in between. It may take a week of skimming every night but it's a lot less frustrating that trying for perfection in one or two coats.

I also agree with a previous poster in that you should only buy stainless steel taping knives and mud pans. A little surface rust on a blue steel knife will leave scars in mud that will drive you nuts. You can get a stainless mud pan and a 12" taping knife at Lowes for around $20.

Comment

Working...
            X