Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archena's Little Thread of Home Improvement Horrors (aka Stupid Things Not to Do!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archena's Little Thread of Home Improvement Horrors (aka Stupid Things Not to Do!)

Never, ever, ever attach two different metals directly to one another.

And for pity's sake, if you can't do it yourself hire professionals!!!!

Now, all I have to do is hire a plumber to replace the stupid water tank some moron used a brass coupling on a steel connection to attach a plastic pipe to!!!

<insert smilie pulling out its hair here>

<insert brooding smilie here> You don't want to know how they put in the sink drain...Let's just say solder is not a good replacement for a simple 1 1/2 nut...

<insert smilie banging its head on a brick wall here>
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Archena's Little Thread of Home Improvement Horrors (aka Stupid Things Not to Do!

WOW! Very appropriate title. My dad was a plumber, sounds like his work, but he never was down south, so I'm good....

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Re: Archena's Little Thread of Home Improvement Horrors (aka Stupid Things Not to Do!

LOL!

Okay, tip number 2: water cut off valves are supposed to turn. That is not possible if you put them so low to the subfloor that they hit the thing!!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	argh.gif
Views:	2
Size:	904 Bytes
ID:	268543

Also: all sinks should have cut off valves!!!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	9437.gif
Views:	3
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	268544
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

1. Be like my father-in-law and change a light switch while it is still live. Yep he got zapped.

2. Not give 100&#37; attention when running wood down a router. Case in point nosy neighbour cam by while I have a few hours of time to get a project done. Wood gets away from me and instead of letting it go I decide to "save" it. Result. Pinky finger gets mulled with 3 deep cuts (not quite to the bone) nice fleshy hangin' meat. Just for good measure the blade slices the nail 3times too.

3. The shut off valves in your bathrooms and under the kitchen sink should be turned on and off at least once a year other wise they may get frozen when you actually need to turn them off.

4. Do not use a copper penny as a screw in fuse. First of all todays pennies and zinc with a thin copper cladding and secondly even if you do find a real copper you have now by-passed the safety feature of a fuse. It blew for a reason, find out why it blew before you rest it or screw in another fuse.
        Last edited by jengineer; 11-27-2007, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Owwww!!!!!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Archena, I LIKE your smileys!

Frances
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks - I hadn't thought to use them as attachments before. Came out rather well.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Steel nut, brass drain and aluminum pipe - what could possibly go wrong?

Click image for larger version

Name:	12364.gif
Views:	1
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	268552

[/CENTER]

Comment

Water cut off valve again - what is with this guy and butting them up against the subfloor?Click image for larger version

Name:	Group One - Pictures 601.gif
Views:	1
Size:	424 Bytes
ID:	269745

This time it's the toilet...

[/CENTER]

Comment

(accidently) Light it on fire and call the insurance Co. You know the whole place is built like that, right? It's not going to end there.....

I'm in a 75 year old house fitted and re-fitted over and over again.

The drips in the kids tub was driving me crazy last year so I spent 15 bucks on a rebuild kit for the faucet. A year later, the thing is back to dripping like the original Moen hardware. My wife pings on me about the toilet in there as well. I think it's time to pull out the HF tile saw and remodel the bath.

A good reason to cut again anyway. Hopefully, I don't almost loose a finger, like dmun almost did.
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

If it were my house a plumber and an electrician would have long since redone both systems. Hint - the light switch to the front room should not be on the wall opposite the door!

Second hint: a shirt is not a good seal for the pipe leading into the septic tank!!!

Who built this place - Tim Allen?

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                      X