Clothing Rack Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing Rack Project

Okay, having had yet another clothing rack self-destruct I've decided it's cheaper to spend $40 - $50 to build a rack rather than buy yet another only to replace it in a few months (these things are junk for anything but temp use). I'm planning to screw everything together so if I no longer need it in a few years I can reuse the wood elsewhere - and because screws hold better than nails.

I've got a couple problems: First, I need to clamp the pipe which will be the rod in place. I cannot drill or cut metal so the cut will be done at the hardware store and pins aren't an option. I'm thinking of putting large washers on either side of the board and then using pipe clamps (the metal bands you screw tight - I never get the name right...) to secure them. Anyone got a better idea?

Second - please don't laugh (too hard) - I don't know how to put the blade in the circular saw. I can't remember having ever seen my Dad do that and the saw didn't come with instructions. Everything I've found online assumes you have a clue to begin with - I don't. I've used them before both as a child and when I took cabinetmaking a few years back but I've never changed a blade. My saw is useless until I can get a blade in it. (And I may end up taking cabinetmaking again just to get the instructor to teach me how - deep sigh). Can someone explain in the 'for idiots' version? I can buy a hand saw (I'm not using a hacksaw on a 2x4!) and get it done but it's kinda stupid to own a circular saw and not be able to use it...

Here are my plans. As you can see, I'm a big believer in cross supports. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	312599

Name:	side.JPG
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	312600

Name:	rod assembly.JPG
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	312601
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Clothing Rack Project

Oh, problem three: on a 6' rack how wide should the feet be to keep it stable? 18"? 2 '? More?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Your local plumbing supply, hardware, or HD will have half inch (id) black iron gas pipe in six foot length, with tapered theads on both sides. It's cheap. The same place will have threaded flanges with four countersunk holes that will take big (like #10) flat head wood screws. You screw the two flanges onto the pipe, and wood screw it to the two uprights. I'd use 2 foot spreaders at the bottom, and triangular bracing front and side to make it more rigid.

Your saw blade differs from one maker to another. Mine, by porter-cable. has a pair of sheet metal wrenches that came with it. The skinny one fits over flats on the arbor shaft, and the big one grabs the nut. Ask the guy who sells you the new blade. Customer service is what you are paying them for.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	10176.gif
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	269564

[/CENTER]

Comment

Not sure where you plan to put this clothing rack, but if it is in an unfinished space, it is very easy to suspend a pipe from the ceiling with chains and eye hooks......
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

Nope, it's finished - and the ceilings are 11 1/2! I'd need scaffolding just to get the eye bolts in!

Thanks! :smile:

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X