Metal Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metal Compatibility

Corrosion is a big problem all over. Steel are useful materials, but they get over specified. I suppose familiarity is part of the problem, but the reason people aren't familiar with other materials, is that these other materials are never specified.

A good example I see every day, is a metal box in a ditch, something to do with underground pipe or cabling. The paint either wasn't applied perfectly (likely) or the paint got chipped. In any event, some of the underlying steel is exposed, and since ordinary steel will not form a dense adherent oxide (rust), the paint blister and falls off, exposing even more steel, and pretty soon it is just another rusty piece of junk in the ditch. Aluminum or fibreglass would probably both work better, and look nicer for a longer time.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm moving shortly so someone else (my landlords) can figure out the plumbing and I really appreciate the help with the other project.

I knew that nut was steel!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

check with a local hardware and look in the cabinet making area, you can get copper plated screws. They are a bit higher in cost but will handle the job quite well.
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
        like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate it!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
          X