Soapstone floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soapstone floor

I have a 4'x4'x 1" piece of soapstone that I plan on rounding and using on the oven floor. Does any one have any comments as to using this. I plan on just setting it on top of the fire brick floor with a small space between the wall for expansion. Any comments or suggestions?

Re: Soapstone floor

You may not have to cut that huge piece of stone. I'd lay an inch or two of wet concrete on top of my insulating layer, to give you some more thermal mass, and then lay the soapstone slab right down onto the wet concrete. You can build your dome directly on top of that, without any problem.

That's a heavy piece of stone, you are going to need lots of help to move it.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Soapstone should heat up very quickly too!!...there have been ovens designed with soapstone through the middle of the floor and firebrick on the outer edges to allow faster heat up for pizza but...better heat retention for bread...should be interesting to hear how it cooks
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Bumping this thread. How's your soapstone been?

Comment

Working...
        X