hardwood flooring project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hardwood flooring project

Another layer of sub-flooring? How much height difference?
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Butler's pantries were tradtionally floored with cork, to reduce dish breakage. It's easy on the feet, too. You can still get cork flooring, but it's a luxury item.

Didn't used to be. I spent some time in Lancaster PA. The Armstrong flooring company there was known locally by their old name, Armstrong Cork. The original linoleum was a mixture of cork fragments and linseed oil.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Cork's getting harder to come by. More vineyards, more (real) corks, less bark to go around. Good trivia David. God only knows where you come up with these tidbits.
        GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
          Another layer of sub-flooring? How much height difference?

My assumption is the wood flooring is thicker than tile, so wouldn't adding a sub-floor make it that much higher?

Comment

A picture paints a thousand words. Hard to determine your and what you want to do without a pic. Heaven knows I'm not an expert in flooring. If nothing else, call in a couple of contractors to give you bids regarding what they want to do, then do it yourself, or hire them if it sounds too complicated.
            GJBingham

-

Comment

Dalucca

doubt it is a "real" hardwood floor that is going on-top of a cement slab. You are looking at tha few mils sheet for moisture barier. Then a thin but dense layer than provides a "floating" platform (platform is the wrong adjative) and then on top of that your Pergo or some other style of flooring. Al told probably around 1/3 inch thick. probably a ramp like strip of hardwood may do the trick. <=====>

Comment

Re: hardwood flooring project - Results

Well - the project went off without a hitch - well not many.

I think its a record but I did not have to make a single trip to hardware or lumber store!!!

The doorway where hardwood met hardwood was tougher than I thought. Whoever cut the tounge off of the original flooring was likely drinking on the job. It was a nice wavering cut. I used a jack plane to set up the first piece to match the crooked lines as best I could. I then cleaned it up with a random orbit sander. I managed to get 5 cuts with my plate jointer between flooring nails - I think 5 biscuits and glue should hold the edges together for quite some time.

The rest was repetition. What I thought would take 5 hrs ended up taking 8. One additional day of rental for the pnuematic flooring nailer and BFH. I'm getting a bit too old for this kind of work. Bending over or stooping for 8 hours swinging a big hammer left we walking like a rusted tin man the next day.

I ended up butting the flooring up against the marble sill plate (with a bit less than 1/8 inch gap for expansion) - lotsa nails - I think it will be fine.

Thanks for all the advice!!!

Christo
                Last edited by christo; 03-05-2008, 10:06 AM.
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

Hey Guys

I think There are so many sites over the internet for choosing Pattern for the Flooring So you may Go through it.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X