Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on these 2nd hand fire brick

Hello folks

I am a new member here looking for some advice. I have been doing some research on firebricks lately because I want to build an outdoor fireplace. I have found some used firebricks and according to the seller these bricks he is selling (aprox 900) where taken from a huge furnace from a plumbing and welding company and the building was built in 1905. He is not sure when was the furnace built and the bricks themselves dont have any mortar but look pretty beat up. He is asking for $0.80 each but with delivery, it will be around $1.25 (I live 1 hour away).

Should these be safe for my application? Thanks for your help!!

BTW, I am only buying 200, not 900

Comment

Problem with second hand bricks are what were they originally used for. With plumbing and welding during that era, lead was commonly used. So if used to melt lead for or other heavy metal then there are potential issues. But you mention you are building a fire place not a pizza oven so this issue may not be as big a problem. So you have to make the decision.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

hmm interesting response, could the brick absorb lead? I would definitely not use the fireplace to cook but if its going to harm anyone enjoying it nearby then I would opt out.

Comment

Brick will absorb water so why not lead vapor?
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

For an outdoor fireplace, I would not sweat it. But, there are surface test kits for lead that are available in all the big box stores. Here is one at Walleyworld. I picked one up like it a few months ago for my daughter who had bought a painted antique dining set to refinish.

Edit: Don't count the fireplace out for cooking .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

So I said to the seller that I am thinking on backing off just becase most likely these where used in a furnace to melt metals and back then they used lead for plumbing, and this is what he responded:

"A forge is used to heat metal to pound or bend into shape. Not used to melt metal. The opening was less then 18". This forge was used in the 80s as there was a metal one much older then this brick one."

At this point I am 50/50..... Am I really getting a good price? $1.25 each or $250 for 200

Comment

Not @ $1.25 imo. Have you priced new at a local yard? The last price check that I did local to me was $2.18 new. That was last month. Of course, that is not delivered.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

For some reason I thought that firebrick was around $5 each.... I gave a call to my local brick s upplier (Frederick Brick Works) and they have the following:

FIREBRICK 4 1/2X9X2 1/2 YELLOW $1.80 ea.
                  FIREBRICK 4 1/2X9X2 1/2 RED $1.80 ea.

I think I will go with the red one...

Comment

You may have read some prices that our members in the southern hemisphere have to deal with. I'm glad that it is working out for you. Now, you can cook in your fireplace if you ever decide to .

Comment

Working...
                    X