Invisible Fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisible Fence

A little off track, but still related to my WFO build...

While digging for my foundation, I cut through the Invisible Fence wire (for our dog). I knew it was there somewhere, I just didn't think I'd hit it with the first shovel

There are several well versed people in this forum. Anyone know the best way to repair? Just splicing and wrapping in electrical tape doesn't seem like a good long term fix. I've been told I need some water proof, silicone based connector. I called the company, but they will only send someone out ($120). Seems ridiculous for a simple fix.

The wire says 14 gauge PE. What does the PE stand for? Oh, I can't just splice it, I need to extend it a little too, just to get around the oven.

thanks
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Invisible Fence

I think they are referring to "polyethylene insulated". I would just splice the length of wire you need and cover the solder joint with shrink tubing. Just to be safe, extend it WAY beyond the joint and double up if you want to be absolutely sure. Radio Shack sells the stuff - I believe they carry the good stuff now - what they had a few years ago was crap.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks, Les.

Do I need to solder the ends together with a solder iron (don't have one), or can I twist the two ends together, like when I install an outlet or light fixture (the extent of my electrical experience)? Should I be able to find PE wire at Radio Shack also?
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

I would solder them - sorry. You can get a cheap one at RS. Every home needs a soldering iron - I have 3, as well as a solder pot. I don't know if they carry the product. The only underground wire I have used was Romex for 120v AC. Lowes may carry it.

Les...

Comment

Mfiore,

Just splice and twist. I would recommend wrapping in tape and then buying some of those waterproof rubber shrink "wrappers" that you put over first before you splice then heat up and shrink - hope that makes sense.

I've buried wire 2 or 3 times. Recently I buried a standard 14 gauge outdoor coated electrical wire (like you would run for an outdoor light). I was tired of the wire breaking or the gophers eathing through it...

Just has to carry a small current is my understaning.

Dick

Comment

Shrink wrap.... That's it. Make a good connection. Soldering is cheap and easy. Above all.. Shrink wrap it.
            Remember! I'm the dick who cut his phone line during excavation. Still receiving calls. Shrink wrap.

Comment

You could smear a bit of petroleum jelly on the wire under the shrink wrap to keep it even more waterproof...it will fill all the voids in the wrap so no water can get in...I think twisting it would be OK as I have burind many a cable and done the same...but the vaseline works like a dream
              Dutch
              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Radio shack and most any auto parts store or boating center. Most are adhesive lined and do not need the vaseline(is great idea for non adhesive type though). If you decide to twist it just make sure to make a long tight twist (at least 1" at each connection) (also tie wires lengthwise and NOT LIKE A BREAD TWIST TIE). Use at least a 3" shrink on a 1" splice. If solder gun is available move heat shrink at least 6" away from area and solder the twisted wire. After it cools slide shrink over repair and heat tubing with a cigarette lighter. Because I know you do not have a heat gun if you dont have a soldering iron lol.
                Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
                like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Self amalgamating tape is also handy for sealing cables such as that. It is used on airial coax cables and over a short period of time it seems to 'melt' and join onto it self with a water proof joint. It is available in Australia at most elrctonics supply stores. Just ensure that the cable is clean and dry prior to wrapping. I would use lacquer thinners or even alcohol (not the burbon type though) to clean it first.

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by CajunKnight View Post
                    heat tubing with a cigarette lighter. Because I know you do not have a heat gun if you dont have a soldering iron lol.
                    Are you kidding? No cigarette lighter either

Thanks for all the advice. This forum rocks!

I used a combination of above input. I twisted the wires together (not like a bread twist tie), coated in vaseline, put on a shrink wrap, heated with my wifes hair dryer (worked well enough). Finished it with a coat of a liquid vinyl seal. Worked well.

Thanks all!
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                      I twisted the wires together (not like a bread twist tie), coated in vaseline, put on a shrink wrap, heated with my wifes hair dryer (worked well enough). Finished it with a coat of a liquid vinyl seal. Worked well.

Thanks all!
                      Damn - that probably exceeds mil spec.

Comment

I know that the work is done now, but if anyone runs into issues with an invisible fence wire again, there is a simpler way...you can order a repair kit with the 14 gauge Polyethylene wire, wire nuts, and waterproof splice tubes from my website. Strip the ends of the replacement section of wire and the adjoining wire on each side of the break...twist together in "pigtail" fashion, screw on the wire nut, tie an overhand knot about six inches above the connection, then plunge each connection into the splice tube (jelly filled) and snap the top closed. This is how the original spices in the system perimeter should have been done and is the preferred repair method of professional pet containment companies. The kits can be found here at fencebylance.com/repair.html Hope this is useful to someone, better yet, hope no wires get cut!
                        Lance Sinkowski

Comment

Working...
                        X