The Price Of Bricks Is To Much!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Price Of Bricks Is To Much!

I've been out and about getting quotes on some of the materials I will need to build the insulating floor and the over dome. HOLY CRAP! That's a lot of money. Just for the firebricks alone will set me back nere on ?500 just for 190 blocks. So can anyone help me to find cheeper firebricks or sagest an alternative type of brick that I could use for the dome?

Re: The Price Of Bricks Is To Much!

Hi Matthew!

Ouch. Those bricks are really high (~$5.25USD/brick)! Have you checked around for other refractory suppliers?

We have a few guys in the UK building ovens. Hopefully they can give you some advice on a supplier.

It's been said that if you can't get firebrick, then using common house brick to build the oven is better than having no oven at all.

Good luck!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

You might try contacting the used brick dealers that sell on ebay.co.uk and see if they have any firebricks.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Also check with the supplier and see if they have seconds or commons in the firebrick. The price I was quoted for new bricks was 1.75 USD per brick and the seconds are 0.39 USD per brick. The ones I inspected had very minor imperfections and would be usable for floor and dome.
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
        like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

You know what I had a look round! But with on luke and I even gooled it, for local suppliers and still nothing. But I will still keep looking because after a bit of reserech I think I could make a busnisse out of it because there's hardly no one doing round here.

Comment

I think I could make a busnisse out of it because there's hardly no one doing round here.
            Absolutely! UK refractory prices are ridiculous! Whenever there is such a huge price spread between two places that are seven days apart by boat there is a profitable business opportunity. And the things you can't get at all? Fireclay? Dry mortar mix? I can see a "refractories-r-us.co.uk" in your future!

Comment

Dose anyone recon that If I just built the dome out of what ever brick and then plaster the inside of it with fire mortar would that work???? Ha Ha Ha!!! I'm such a cheapskate lol! and I got no money DAM IT!

Comment

You could build your oven from common brick, the only danger is a chip or crack, and a slight decrease in performance. Plastering the inside of the dome is a really bad idea, I tried to smooth heat-stop mortar over some joints that didn't quite line up, and all those pieces fell right out.

Comment

The topic of using regular brick seems to come up a lot. I used it and its working so far perfectly ..no spalling and I made my own mortar too. If you can't afford a Cadillac buy a volkswagen
                  berryst
                  sigpic

Comment

Matthew
                    I posted this a while ago on anther thread, but this is where I got my bricks from.

Yorkshire refractory products YRPL Homepage Supplied fireclay and firebricks to me. Bricks at ?1.05 each and clay at 0.38 per kilo. Sadly they charge about ?50 to deliver, I guess if there were a group of people located fairly close, a big order might be cost effective. I have just finished my dome and used most of 1 bag.

Simon

Comment

Matt
                      Check out the satellite portable pizza oven thread by broakencookie. This was a cheap oven that was quick to build and probably made really good pizza. Remember any oven is better than no oven
                      berryst
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X