Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Hood Wrangle

Hi,

Okay, yet another in a long list of idiotic questions from yours truly. I've lived in the old houses most of my life, and have only rarely had range hoods. I know how to use them, but I'm not sure how exactly they're supposed to work.

Here's the problem: with the fan off cold air is coming back down through the hood. Is there supposed to be a damper or something? It's a really big problem on cold nights. As energy efficiency crazed as home-improvement stuff has been over the last few years you'd think somebody would have mentioned it if this were common problem. There has to be some way to keep it from happening, but I have no idea what it is.

Help.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Range Hood Wrangle

Easy solution to your problem!
    Contact the manufacturer for:-
    ? a satisfactory explanation of your problem, and/or
    ? a spare parts diagram.
    There are many makes and models from a range of manufacturers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks. I checked it out and the damper is sold separately. It doesn't look like one was ever installed. Looks like this goes on the list of things for my landlord to deal with once I move out...

(Which is not a dig against my landlord. They were kind enough to rent the house to me when I needed it desperately even though was not yet ready for rental. Just to be helpful I'm putting together a list of all the little stuff that you notice when you live in a house but not might not notice when you're not living in it. But as busy as they are right now this isn't going to be repaired anytime soon.).

Sigh. Duct tape, anyone?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Most range hoods have a spring actuated flap on the outside, under the cowell that keeps the rain out. Sometimes cooking crud causes this flap to get stuck open. Do you have access to the exterior of the vent?
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

humm, my 1952 home just has one big hole - of course it never rains in southern california

Comment

Archena
            Like most things, there are always other options, most relying on the owner/occupier to remedy.

Looks like this goes on the list of things for my landlord to deal with
            You could always acquire either a shielded hood or one that is swivelled and always points away from the wind direction.
            Another option is to build a baffle within the exiting flue. This should be pivoted off centre so that it will automatically close when the fan forced draft is not keeping it open but closes automatically when the unit is turned off.
            You would then need your metal working skills or you may be able to use a correct diameter tin can, punch 2 holes carefully and accurately through it for the shaft, cut a circular baffle and screw it off centre onto the shaft and then duck tape it into the flue. You really do need to work on those metal working skills (or lack of).

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

There are several options of flappers/baffles available for the different types of ductwork. The last one I purchased was for a soffit/wall mount for use with a bath fan or clothes dryer. The flex pipe I used screwed into the mounting flange (which was white plastic - matching my white soffits), has a weighted plastic one way flapper that stays closed unless air is flowing through the pipe...is actually quite sensitive and opens very easily even with the fan on low - but never opens from wind. I am surprised that it actually works so well...I bought it online (sorry I don't remember where, it was a ductwork/vent/fan e-tailer) for about $10.

RT

Comment

Dmun: No, ?fraid not. Anything involving going higher than the third step of the ladder isn?t going to happen. Even if I weren?t scared of heights, I don?t have anyone else around. And my daddy pounded into my head, you don?t get a ladder if there?s no one else around.

Neill: I can?t do repairs that involve getting on top of a house. And you?re just evil bringing up the metalwork thing?

RT: I?d have to find one that I could install from the interior. Couldn?t hurt to ask the guys at Lowe?s, I guess. Beats the cereal wrapper I have taped up there right now.

Thanks guys. Merry Christmas!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                X