Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Californian Contacts to Construct Oven or Vacation Trade

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for someone I can pay to construct a wood fired oven for me.
    I live in Ventura California. Does anyone know anyone in my area that is possibly available to do this?

I live a mile from the ocean in a beautiful canyon location with ocean view and a alvocado orchard. I would be willing to trade a couple of guest rooms for someone wanting to vacation here for the right person or persons...

Thanks for your help!

Re: Southern Californian Contacts to Construct Oven or Vacation Trade

I would recommend building it yourself. It sounds like a daunting task but once you start you really get into it.

WARNING: It can be annoying to those around you because soon all you will want to talk about is the optimal mixture you have discovered for portland cement, lime, sand and fireclay. Or you will go to the beach and instead of enjoying the surf and looking at waves you will examine the sand to see if it is better than the sand you are currently using for mortar. Every brick edifice will take on new significance as you appreciate or critique the bricklaying. Of course to those around you it will seem as if you have lost your mind. And this is just the building phase. Once its done your newly discovered, previously long dormant obsessive streak will turn towards all thing flour, yeast and proofing time related, and on and on and on.

I finished my oven about 5 months ago having never laid a brick beforehand and now fire it up almost every weekend. It means so much more to me that my son and I built it together. If you can, take the plunge...

Comment

Working...
    X