Dome vs Barrel Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dome vs Barrel Ovens

In my opinion, the "Allan Scott" design is seriously flawed with respect to having the insulation placed under the slab.

It will be nice when that book goes out of print.

Having built both (dome and barrel) , I consider them pretty much equal in complexity/difficulty. Choose the style based on your projected use.
    Last edited by Neil2; 07-14-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried making an elongated dome, basically a dome/barrel hybrid? I haven't seen one but would like the space of a barrel (for suckling pigs, churrascaria skewers, etc.) with the stability and efficiency of a dome.

Then again, I'm completely new to this concept so maybe I've missed that, or it's unnecessarily complicating things. Should I just build a larger dome oven?

Also, does anyone know of a way to have an oven entrance that possibly has a removable portion to allow for larger items, like a suckling pig?

Comment

Rectangular low dome is probably the best compromise between ease of building, flexibility, and efficiency. Round ovens look cool though and make the best use of floor space.

Comment

Wouldn't the roof be harder to build?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
            Wouldn't the roof be harder to build?
            ...for an elliptical oven or the low-roof rectangular oven that was suggested? This will be my first time building an oven. I'm excited about it and open to input. Conceptually, an elongated shape makes sense to me but I'd love advice from more experienced WFO enthusiasts.

Comment

You will build a form either way, but with a barrel or low dome rectangular, you can build the dome in a couple of hours.

Comment

Okay, low dome or low roof -whichever it's called - means a curvature is still involved? I thought he meant a true box shape with a flat roof (I've seen them professionally built so it can be done - but it looks like it'd be complicated). Curves I get - long flat expanses I have trouble figuring out.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Flat roofs are panels or supported by angle iron.

Comment

That was what I was thinking but it seems more difficult to me. <shrug>

Thanks!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Dmun, your oven is very handsome, reminds me of something the architect Gaudi would have built. A suggestion - I would clad the exposed brick at the oven entrance and the chimney with mosaic to create a unified appearance. The dome is so whimsical and creative and is in stark contrast with the linearity and dullness of the two areas I pointed out. Check out Gaudi and see how he treated his chimneys. The man is a genius.
                      http://www.aussieinfrance.com/2013/02/gaudis-chimneys/

Comment

Robweeve,

i'm a Gaudi fan too. You may be interested in my kiln shelter built using catenary arches.
                        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...735#post394735
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                        X