• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19-20 May 2007 - Mary G's Bash

Pulled the trigger! LA to Port Perry

Southwest Airlines can get you to Buffalo NY for $350
    Alamo via Hotwire.com gets a compact for about $35/day
    The drive from BUF to Jim's is about 170 miles or 3 hours

The best Motel is called San-Man right on the main road and a mile or so from Jim's Not sure about the pirce but hey are about the only place close that Jim recommends....
    Port Perry San-Man Motel
    treat it as a rack not a place to entertain and you will be fine.

Each of our trips has to have a mission and ours is year is THE SHOE MUSEUM in Toronto
    The Bata Shoe Museum - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

We missed it last year as we spent about 4 hours in The Market - this year we know what we will need to get and we might be able to do this quicker.
    St. Lawrence Market Home Page

Why are we going to Buffalo? - well last year it was a bit iffy getting certain things through the airport.

If you want our actual itenary drop me a line off line we may have room in da car for 1 person if ya can hang with a screamin' 1.5 yr old and are a non-smoker.

Must have, as it is just going to make things easy, one valid passport,

je
    Last edited by jengineer; 02-08-2007, 01:51 PM.

Re: 19-20 May 2007 - Mary G's Bash

CJ? Mary G's Bash??? Tell me more....

Is this a FB sanctioned event

JE, have you done Niagara Falls...only 1/2 hour out of Buffalo and worth the detour. You can cross into Canada there.
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I don't even want to get into what I got up to last time i was in Buffalo. Let's just say it was my birthday and I was on tour with a punk rock band and leave it at that.

Comment

XJ, Red,

I'm having the second annual Mary G's Artisan Bread bash and wine tasting on that weekend. Last year, there were a lot of hungry people on hand on the Saturday afternoon. Anyone on the forum that is nearby, or not, is certainly welcome here.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Did Niagara when i was 2 years old - does that count?

Comment

JE,

While it might be nice to revisit the falls and the extensive gardens on the Canadian side, don't do it on that weekend. The Rainbow Bridge crossing is the busiest across the continent, and it will be doubly busy on that holiday weekend. Cross at Queenston, instead, it's a lot quieter, mostly trucks.

Jim

Comment

we fly in to BUF the evening of the 17th will probably stay with some of the relatives that are still alive in the city. We cross the border on Friday. I figured I would have to do an early morning Falls viewing or would not hear the end of it from not only the relative s but also the wife and my parental unit to boot.

Comment

Yeah, the falls are worth the quick visit anytime....an awesome experience every time. Lots of tourists.....should go in the winter sometime when it's really cold.

CJ, bread and wine....mmmm What can we bring? Soup, salad and beans?

Comment

JE

You might also like the Ontario Science Center....

I lived nearby in Waterloo for 5 years and loved their Farmers Market. I have not done the St Lawrence market...thanks for the link.

So much to do...so little time...

Comment

Pinot

James do you do the "Bash".....might need some California wine for the tasting!!

I may have to go to that one....

Comment

FB will donate some raffle prizes -- Caputo flour, cookware, peels, etc. Sadly, I can't afford the wine that comes from our front yard. Go figure.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Luke, your powers are growing every day...

I have learned how to move threads to a more appropriate forum. Thanks for the request Patrick.
                        James
                        Last edited by james; 02-12-2007, 01:39 PM.
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

That's very kind of you indeed to donate raffle prizes, and they most certainly will help promote The Pizza Builders group. XJ can bring whatever he wants, but mainly himself, main squeeze and truck. It's worth pointing out that on the way from Niagara Falls is a cool, though touristy, town called Niagara On the Lake that might be worth a quick stop. There's also Stratford, where there's a well regarded Shakespearian company and theatre. Etc., etc.

We can all chip in for Nick's bail if he gets hung up in Buffalo again.

Jim

Comment

Or Open Doors in August

So if you can't make the May Bash there is a one day event in August. Ontario has what is called Open Doors Ontario. I have not done my full research on this event but it appears to span from April to October where certain heritage sites are open for viewing. Some places that are closed to the public are opened up for the day. Jim was approached and said yes.

Doors Open Ontario - Doors Open Lake Scugog-Port Perry 2007
                            Last edited by jengineer; 04-11-2007, 03:40 PM.

Comment

My friends - I wish they could plan better and i wish the wife ws not in school.

We leave for Buffalo on the 17th dive the border the next day.
                              We leave Jim on the 21st and fly back to LA on the 22nd. Wife goes from plane to school. We wash clothes and on Friday, 25th, jump a plane to Providence RI for a graduation. Fly back on the 29th. I am half tempted to send the wife back to LA by herself and drive down with a 19 month wee one to RI, I would have 3 days to do it. Alas She would not go for that.

James - unfortunately/or fortunately I am not a connesour of the vino even though my dad use to make it back in the '70's. Last year you suggested a few wines, local to FB down the road. I beleive your recommendations were warmly received and thus woudl like to bring a couple of vintages with me again. Could you please, if those cells are still there since mine have obvioulsy left me, tell me/us again what your suggestions were. Yes, they were all local California wines from Napa down to San Luis Obispo. Posting to this thread is fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X