Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im heading bush, I wont have time to go outback again so Im going nearback.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im heading bush, I wont have time to go outback again so Im going nearback.

What a great city I live in, there is a horse race, the Melbourne cup, that is run on the first Tuesday of November, so many ppl were taking sickies on the Monday that most businesses now close then too.

We finish work at 10.30 Friday morning so it means I have a 4 and a half day weekend coming up.

Im heading bush, I wont have time to go outback again so Im going nearback. , Im heading in the general direction of Broken Hill NSW.
    Im taking a mate along for the trip this time too.

Pics to follow.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Im heading bush, I wont have time to go outback again so Im going nearback.

Looking forward to more great photos of your downunder adventures.
    Chip

Comment

Looking forward to your pictures also. Have fun!!!

Comment

Love Brokenhill and Silverton
        Instant outback 1 short days drive away
        Great pubs good architecture. lots of red dirt

Comment

Have a good trip Al. Keep one eye peeled for the jabawokkie. Look forward to the pics.
          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
            Love Brokenhill and Silverton
            Instant outback 1 short days drive away
            Great pubs good architecture. lots of red dirt
            Me too, all within a 8 or 9 hour drive from me.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I spent a night talking philosophy(BS) with the owner of the Silverton pub till 3 or 4 in the morning one night.
              He closed the doors and opened the bar it was a great night.
              Went back to the camp site ran into some local Aboriginals around a camp fire spent the rest of the night talking philosophy (BS) drinking beers, it was excellent.

bad hang over was well worth it.

Comment

Im heading via Adelaide to pick up my best mate Danny, an Aboriginal, itll be an interesting trip.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Well that didnt go to plan.

I left Melbourne for Adelaide with a head cold but feeling ok.
                  I stopped over at some in-laws in Ararat on Friday arvo and left there at 4.30 am Saturday morning, I picked Danny up in Adelaide at around 10.30 am
                  and we headed off to Burra in South Australia.
                  We made camp mid afternoon on Saturday, by late arvo we started to get the fire ready, all the while Im getting crooker and crooker.
                  Im starting to get short of breath and am coughing more frequently.

A bottle of red or two and a good feed soon made me feel ok, Danny and I had some deep and meaning fulls around the camp fire, world peace will be breaking out anytime soon.
                  I coughed all night up till the point of dry reaching and hardly slept, neither did poor Dan.

Next morning after brekky I figured I had better see a doctor, we headed into Burra where they have a small hospital, the nurse checked me out but I had to wait for 3 hours before the doctor arrived.
                  The doctor told me I had a lung infection and gave me some antibiotics.

Time to head home, I dropped Danny off and he gave me a shower and a coffee which perked me up no end.
                  I drove out of Adelaide and found a spot to park and just collapsed into my camper trailer, I felt as if Id just been beaten up my ribs were that sore.
                  I was feeling so crook that I sent my gps co-ords to my wife just in case.

A round trip of 1900 km, but it was good to catch up with Danny again, we plan to head north together next April, we talked about making a doco.

Ive got a few pics, Ill post them soon.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Danny the fire maker, I asked him if he was going to show me how to rub two sticks together to light a fire, he gave me "one" of those looks and pulled a cigarette lighter out of his pocket instead.....lol

Tucker time.

Previous nights dishes and brekky...

The GIANT Koala, why did they bother?

Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-04-2013, 07:31 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

What a great adventure and I loved the pictures. Glad your on the mend.

The GIANT Koala is cute and gave me a little chuckle. I would put it in my front yard just for the fun of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
                        The GIANT Koala is cute and gave me a little chuckle. I would put it in my front yard just for the fun of it.
                        They have been trying to sell the whole venture for years, you could probably get it for a packet of biscuits and a used newspaper......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Al, maybe next time you guys will go to a DSW workshop to round out the trip! Did you get Bruce's contact information?
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

Hi Al,
                            Sorry to hear you were a bit crook on your trip. The Burra area is a fantastic part of SA. The Cornish miners did an amazing job, the history of the area is very interesting, as well as the countryside.

Burra also has a fantastic bakery, Waters, which have arguably the best Cornish Pastie in Australia.

Also the local butcher has saltbush lamb. This is lamb that has grown in pasture with only salt bush in it. The meat is lean and very tender and tasty.

Absolutely fantastic to roast the leg in the WFO. It is to die for!!

Cheers

Craig
                            "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                            The Pirate Captain

Comment

Interesting trip Al. South Australia has some interesting places. I spent a couple of months exploring the Yorke and Ayre peninsulas and enjoyed it very much. I had a look at Burra and some other places along the way.

I intend to return and spend some more time in some of the more isolated areas but will probably tow a camper-van or similar, last time I camped in a tent and could not camp in some interesting places because it was too rocky for the tent.

The oysters, crabs and lobster from the cold blue water are the best I have found anywhere. Prime.

I hope you have made full recovery. The healing power of Barossa reds is legendary.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                              X