Fallas of Valencia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallas of Valencia

I put a note in Chit chat about these....here are some pictures of 5 of the about 800 prepared in Valencia and burned tonight!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Fallas of Valencia

some cooking themes too!

Comment

and more spoof on McDonalds

Comment

Dude - they look like Alice in Wonderland

thanks

Comment

XJ,

Wonderfully whimsical and beautifully made. What a trip. Not sure that Ronald McDonald should end up in the recycling bin, justifiable as it may be. My feeling is that a toxic waste holding area would be more appropriate.

CJ
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Those are quite amazing...then they burn them?!?!

Of what are these constructed? I am impressed at the workmanship and the finish, and wonder what they could be made of to burn easily. (Perhaps incredible paper mache.)

Thanks for the pics!

Comment

We went to the nearby town of Denia to watch them burn the Fallas last night. Valencia is too big and crazy burning theirs. Many towns in the Valencia provence build the fallas to celebrate Spring on Saint Joeseph day.

They are built with a core of wooden structure so it will burn. Historically they used paper mache to cover the ninots.

They come along and wrap the statues with fireworks, poke some holes in them and pour in an accelerant. The first major activity is the fire department shows up and rings the statue with tape to keep the crowds back. Bands, dancing, ring-around-the-rosie......then bang, fireworks, and big fires. The statue erupts into flames and burns to the ground. Cheers all around as the last bits fall to the ground.

Follow the fire truck to the next statue!

These pictures are actually of the kids falla, a smaller one in front of the adult falla (so, it's really a small fire!). These go first!

Comment

Here are a couple of video?s of the Crema in Valencia

a 1 minute (childrens falla) and 5 minute (adult falla) versions that I found on the web?.amature but gives you the feel!

Videos mascletas 2006

Jim

Comment

XJ,

Now I completely understand why WFOs are so easy to get in Spain. It's a nation of confirmed pyromaniacs. Very endearing, close to my heart and good stuff.

Jim
                  "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Definately watch the second one with nice classical/opera music playing in the background. Brings back memories of the riots in LA. Only this is a yearly tradition. Surley I was born on the wrong continent.

The fire department used to do something similar up in Sacramento, CA with all the Christmas trees in January - great huge bonfire in a parking lot.

Now if only they would do this with the Rose Parade

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
                      XJ,

Now I completely understand why WFOs are so easy to get in Spain. It's a nation of confirmed pyromaniacs. Very endearing, close to my heart and good stuff.

Jim
                      XJ,

Speaking of a country of pyromaniacs -- can you give us a description of your local fireworks display at the summer Javea fiesta?

Thanks for the Fallas pix, they were great. Was it really a lot of fun being there? How would younger kids do?
                      James
                      Last edited by james; 03-20-2007, 11:00 AM.
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One more thing. Jim, I just showed the Denia photos to Carrie, and they brought a tear. Thanks.
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                        X