Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary G's 2nd Annual Bread Bash

Good day all,
    I had the pleasure of attending Jim's annual bread bash yesterday. After speaking to him on several occassions I had the honour of finally meeting the man behind Mary G's bread. We couldn't of had better weather or a better host for that matter. When my wife & I arrived, Jim graciously greeted us & introduced himself. He had one table set up with fresh wood fired bagels & the other table with a variety of his amazing artisan breads. He introduced my wife and I to Patrick ("J engineer") & his lovely wife Wendy, who along with their 18 month daughter Kate travelled all the way from California to attend. Let me tell you, after sampling Jim's bread & getting to know Jim, I understand why they made the trip. Patrick & I chatted for some time as did our wifes. By the end of the evening we had all become good friends. I can't wait to see them again next year. We met alot of great people & a great time was had by all. Jim was such a great host, after 5 minutes with him, you feel like you've known him for a lifetime. We all watched him make fresh kaisers for the burgers as well as his signature parisian baguette. Let me tell you, this baguette is the best ever. I have never had a baguette like this. Jim's secret for making such amazing bread is actually quite simple, the best ingredients money can buy & lots of love. After carefully forming each loaf, Jim places the bread in the Hearth Oven where he carefully monitors the baking time. Once his timer goes off, he checks the internal temperature of the bread to ensure that it is perfect, & Voila the optimal loaf. For all of you who have yet to try Mary G's bread, I only have one question. What are you waiting for??? Let me tell you, once you try it, everything else will pale in comparison.
    Jim, thanks so much for your superior hospitality & it was an absolute pleasure to meet you & your lovely family. I hope to see you soon.
    Last edited by matthew; 05-20-2007, 04:53 AM.

Re: Mary G's 2nd Annual Bread Bash

Matthew, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you there - or maybe I did and didn't get the connection. I read your earlier posts in the Pizza Dough Recipe topic and thought it would be fun to find someone else from FB in Toronto (okay, Mississauga - close enough), but I had invited a couple of interested friends to meet Jim and see his operation, and I'm afraid I was occupied with them. Maybe next year, or before.

The 2nd annual MGBB was indeed a great time. Perfect weather, good people and great conversations, and of course the breads and the food - well worth the trip, even from California, as I'm sure jengineer will attest. My only regret is that I was busy talking and missed out on the focacccia, which my son assured me was excellent (16-year olds have a finely developed instinct for where and when food will be available!).

Jim's computer is ailing again and as it is a holiday here he can't get it repaired today. However he should be back in a day or two, posting pictures from the event.
    Un amico degli amici.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that it went so well, and I'm looking forward to seeing photos and hearing more.

Patrick, if you are back yet, how did it go for you and how was the trip?

Jim, sorry about the computer, but I'll bet you are tired, so you get a day off from email. :-)

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Sitting here at the Marriot in Buffalo about 2 miles from the airport. We leave 0600 tomorrow. As Alfredo said Jim's PC has taken a dump, once again. Not good for a machine that is almost brand new. Jim & I suspect it is hardware as it has a stack overrun after 10 minutes and you get the blue screen of death.

The Caputo Flour, tools, hats, shirts and aprons were well revceived. James we could have made money on this one. When I asked folks if they would like to participate in a raffle later in the afternoon folks were pulling out $5 notes. I had to explain it was a free raffle brought to you by the folks at Forno Bravo. James - that was a great way to spread good will. I think there were about 50 to 60 folks that showed up to eat, ask questions about bread making and find out about Forno Bravo. Alfredo got a picture of each winner on Jim's camera. It will take a while for Jim to pull them of and get them uploaded. Each bag of Caputo was given with instructions on how to use the bread with the FB letter head and contact information.

I will be a bit pushed to get my photos up as I still use real film. I experimented with a "throw away" digital (no lense cover, no zoom capability - it was free) and will try to get something up in the next 2 days before we fly out to the east coast again only this time for a graduation.

Depending on Jim's blessing I may have a gift for RedBrickNick.

As for the bread, You have got to taste Jim's bagels and kaiser rolls. Unbelievable.

Yesterday we used the oven to heat up Jambalaya (still at 350F) made by the wife and I along with aged Pecerino, wine from Australia, brick oven roasted corn. Arggh I forgot to get a picture of it!. Oh the humanity. I will try to rememebr to pull pics next year. Even if Jim doesn't do this next year, it is a lot of work, We are making this an annual trek. This morning the oven was close to 250F. That is the difference between a low mass Pompeii and a high mass Alan Scott design.

This years goal was the Bata Museum. I will post that on chit-chat or maybe on this section.

Our thanks to Jim and James
        Last edited by jengineer; 05-24-2007, 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling, punctuation

Comment

Hi Alfredo,
          We did meet. I was standing beside you & your son during the draw. I believe that we were speaking about Grande cheese while we were watching Jim bake his bread.

Matt

Comment

Sorry, Matthew, you're right - I hadn't made the connection. And now that you mention it I'm just about out of Reggiano so I may have to go home via the Grande outlet in Woodbridge
            Un amico degli amici.

Comment

All,

Thanks to AJ, Matthew and JE for the posts on the bread bash. I feel like I'm at square one with my computer. Just getting on the Internet was a struggle. The email system is still down . The blue screen of death has disappeared, but my desktop has been exported to who knows where, favorites buried, system not recognizing programs, etc., etc. In some ways, the entire thing is in worse shape than when I started having it fixed. Back to the compuspital today. Third time!!!! I'll get back about the party when things straighten out.

James,

JE is absolutely correct: you could have made money on this one. The prizes were greatly appreciated, and people were surprised to see them here. It was very generous of you and a great way to spread the word about FB and Caputo.

More soon.

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks Jim. Good luck with your sick friend. It kind of reminds me of the Apple commericals. Hi I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC -- and the PC is sick all of time. :-)

Glad to hear the Bash went well.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Mary G's 2nd Annual Bread Bash

Here are the pics from a digital camera that was a present from the Boeing Company for 20 years of fine service. The camera sucks. When i get back from my next trip (Rhode Island) I will post photos from a real camera.

Comments. Each trip that we take we have to have a mission or a goal. In addition to hitting the St Lawrence market to pick up ingredients for the Jambalaya (wife is Creole you know) this trips mission was the Bata shoe museum. They had shoes (sandals) dataing back to BC from Egypt, all the way through modern times. Wife was dissapointed that they didn't allow you to try fsome of the shoes from the 1600 and 1700's - lots of shiney things on them - silk, baubbles and such.

The first 2 photos are from the musuem. Trivia question. Why are a pair of silk socks there and who wore them?

Foccacia in the raw form and final cuts. Baguettes. I did not get a photo of the Kaiser rolls that were made fresh that day. We later bought store rolls and oh what a difference. I'm thinking that maybe next year I will buy, fresh that day, the same products that Jim makes and then we will have a taste and texture test for comparison. The store bought rolls, which I am sure were of the finest quality do not hold a candle to Mary G's!

Just to put a bug in the ear, we might try to convince Jim to not bake that day but rather have Matthew use the oven for making pizza's.
                  Last edited by jengineer; 05-24-2007, 09:34 AM.

Comment

one more digital cam pic, this forum needs a scratch and sniff
                    Last edited by jengineer; 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM.

Comment

What about the leftovers???

Comment

RT,

Leftovers? What leftovers? Imagine John Wayne staggering through the desert, on his last legs, with two vultures sitting on nearby cacti waiting their chance. The glint in their scavenger eyes was the same look I saw at the Bread Bash. The only things left over were a few burgers and crumbs.

I'll try to get the pics from my camera up this weekend.

Jim

Comment

JE,

Forgot. Of course you can pass on the heavyweight to RedBrickNick. He needs a piece of Canadian granite to complete the picture. It was part of a Toronto street, laid down about 1860 or so.

Jim

Comment

Jeng,
                            It would be my pleasure.

Matt

Comment

The best baguettes ever, this photo brings back the aroma in the air when Jim pulled them out of the oven. As a matter of fact, my wife was in France in March & told Jim that the ones she had there paled in comparison. You're the bomb Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X