Great Loop / Great Circle boat trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Loop / Great Circle boat trip

Any boaters out there? I've been researching the Great Loop and doing some segments over the last 3 years. It's a 6000 +/- mile boat trip around the eastern US!

It all started by renting a canal boat for a week on the Erie Canal....then learning about this Loop trip through the Great Lakes, down the inland rivers to the Gulf of Mexico, around Florida and up the ICW back to New York.

There is a Great Loop association (AGLCA) and members at all stages of the trip.

Quite an interesting challenge!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Great Loop / Great Circle boat trip

XJ,

Years ago, I sailed the ICW from Richmond, VA, to northern Florida with a crazy Dutchman who had already taken his a fifty-three foot sailboat from Lake Ontario, through the Chesapeake, to Richmond by himself. Except for the 36 hours in open sea in a following Force 11 wind, it was a great trip. They don't call it Cape Fear for nothing.

The Intracoastal Waterway is probably the very best way to see that part of the continent, and the Loop would be simply fantastic. I'm working on rectifying that I was switched at birth and am really entitled to a large fortune, then I'll get right on it.

Jim
    Last edited by CanuckJim; 02-15-2008, 05:00 AM. Reason: Incomplete & typoos
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Hey, one guy already did it on a jet ski!

There are all sizes of boats, sailboats & motor boats, the favorites seem to be more liveaboard sized though.....some use marina's a lot, but I'm more of a gunkholer!

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
        <SNIP>
        I'm working on rectifying that I was switched at birth and am really entitled to a large fortune, then I'll get right on it.
        Jim
        That makes two of us ... what a small world.

J W

Comment

I don't know about the Great Loop, but if you (or of you other oven builders) ever decide to do what's called the Golden Triangle around here (from Lake Ontario, up the Rideau canal to Ottawa, down the Ottawa River to Montreal, then back to Lake Ontario via the St. Lawrence, you can drop in on me in two places - at home in Ottawa or on my island in Big Rideau Lake, where I'll be building the next oven (not building this year though!).
          The Rideau canal system is a gem and was declared a World Heritage Site last year.

Rideau Canal - Rideau Canal World Heritage Site, Ontario, Canada

Sarah

Comment

...and I can recommend the Bermuda Triangle for those with a bit more zeal for adventure.

All these trips sound so great. Living on the West Coast of N. America, especially in the NW makes water adventures a bit more dangerous. I've made a couple of trips from San Diego to Southern Baja in search of big tuna, and gone deep sea fishing all over the world. You take your life into your hands every time you venture out off the coast of Washington State. Storms come out of nowhere and trying to get back to port against an outgoing tide and onshore winds is virtually impossible. The Columbia River Bar is where the Coast Guard trains their sailors for rough water boat handling. Thanks, I'll just stay away from that.

Someday though, I'll do the trip up the inside passage from Puget Sound to Alaska. Quite a bit safer and many cool things to see along the way.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Sarah, the Rideau is on the list of waterways to explore.....when it's liquid!

That waterway and the Severn Trent are considered to be two of the best trips along the way.

I'll definately want to catch up with you down the road.

Jim

Comment

Here's a website for dreamers like me....

www.greatloop.com

Comment

We haven't got any large waterways around here, but this thread reminds me of something we would like to do sometime in our lives - probably only after the kids have left home though...

Theres an old pilgrim route that goes through the black forrest (in Germany) the Jura (Switzerland), um, through France and the Pyrenees and ends up somewhere in Spain... Santiago de Castillia or something (?) - well obviously we'll still have to work on our route a bit, but I think it woud be so fascinating to walk through half of Europe following age-old paths on foot and carrying all you need in a backpack.

We did five days of the route through the Jura a couple of years ago, and ever since I've dreamt of doing the whole thing.

The only downside I can see so far, is that carrying my pizza oven in a backpack will be rather hard work.
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances, that would be quite a treck. It's amazing the number of people who did that journey. We were in Santiago last year and walked some of the trail (no serious hiking though).

The cathedral is amazing and the adjacent building is now a Parador. In the cathedral entrance is a marble pillar that has a handprint in it from all the pilgrims who touched it after completing their journey.

Comment

XJ, Sarah, all,

I've done parts of the Rideau by water and several times the 200 mile, 2 day Rideau Lakes Tour by bicycle (Ottawa to Kingston, day one, Kingston to Ottawa, day two). You're really getting to my neck of the woods, XJ, when you talk about the Trent-Severn waterway. I live just at the southern Terminus. Lots of cool locks, Rideau and Trent both. Another stop for you along the way.

Jim

Comment

CJ, you're at the top of the list and I'll make sure the freezer is empty!

Bread, bagels....I'll barter for fresh paella....and I work for wine!

Comment

Hey Jim,
                          Do you have a great recipe for Paella? I had many awesome paella dishes while travelling though Spain. I've never attempted to make it.
                          George
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Paella eh?

George, the best I have is already posted:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f20/...rice-1336.html

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/paella-1790.html

and I'm up for a party....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f20/...ties-1711.html

as you can tell I love to Paella!

Comment

XJ,

Anytime, door's open. Bread, bagels, whatever, traded for paella, wine. Yer on, hoser.

CJ

Comment

Working...
                              X