Rebuilding the Windmills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding the Windmills

Xabia/Javea was one of the places in Spain where they built very early mediterranean or turret windmills. The earliest known reference to Valencian windmills was a royal privlege dated 1258 to the city of Alicante. In 1391 another document mentioned a mill (molin) above Javea on the plana.

There are a series of 11 of these old medieval mills on the escarpment above town built between the 14th to 18th centuries. The last mill #12 was built closer to town in 1850.

Some have been converted into dwellings, others are in ruin. Recently, they've begun to restore some of the ruined ones.

They had 4 sails and were used to grind grain for bread,

XJ
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Rebuilding the Windmills

Some of the details are pretty cool.

The stone dome was made from the local tosca (coral?) stone mined from the seafront.

Comment

These were last used just over 100 years ago....the three were shown in a late 19th century photo, two of which still had their sails.

Access to the upper floors was via stairway built into the side of the wall and the upper wall was supported by arches. Of the 70 mills that are thought to have existed in the Valencia region, these of Javea were different due to thee quarter-circle arch built in the rough-hewn Tosca that supported the upper floor.

Nice study in stonework....

XJ

Comment

XJ,

Yet another fine photographic essay. Very interesting stonework, and I'm glad they're being restored before they disappear. This is a prime example of why you've been nominated for April's BOTM.

Thanks,

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Great pics XJ!

Somewhere, I've got pics of windmills in Greece, Sicily, and the Netherlands. I'd have to scan them, if I could ever find them, and my scanner is collecting dust in the garage - a bygone era (already). At least I can still envision them in my mind. Thanks for posting another kick in the memory.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
          X