Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rome in June

Hello Travelers,

Friends of mine are going to Rome for a couple of days in June. Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to stay? Also any favorite places to eat? Possibly some good pizza? I will have to go back and read American Pie for info on Rome. I was hoping someone on the Forum would have some good information.

Also, if you had only a couple of days what would be some good sites to see?

Thanks for any help,

Loren

Re: Rome in June

They should have a great time.

We like staying on the ancient forum side of town, east of the Colosseo, rather than closer to the Vatican and the more famous spots. It is less touristy, and you can get away from the crowds and into some of the more residential neighborhoods. There are great family restaurants -- and wood-fired pizzerias, where you get to eat next to the locals, which I think is a lot of fun. If it's been discovered and written up in an English guidebook -- it's too late. :-)

Plus, I really enjoy ancient Rome.

Beware of any gelateria or caffe within site of the forum (or any monument for that matter). You will get stung with an $8 ice cream and $6 coffee and bad service.

June should be a great time to visit. Not too hot, and the season hasn't taken off yet. The Euro's are still in school.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Two days. Gosh. There's so much.

Day one - ancient Rome. Start at the colossium, and head through the roman forum, and head toward the Centro Storico, and the Pantheon. (if you only see one thing, that's it) Lunch. In the afternoon, jump a few centuries. See the plaza Navonna, walk in the direction of the Trevi fountain, and maybe the Palazzo del Quirinale. A good choice in the evenings for non-italian speakers are classical concerts in churches and ancient monuments. Look for street flyers. The second day has to be the Vatican museum. Get there an hour before opening and stand in line. Lunch. You need to see one of the five big churches, and St Peter's is right there, but it's not my favorite. Way to glossy for my taste. Maybe Vincoli or Maggiore would be a better choice, but they are way across town. Don't try to see every church in Rome, that would take years.

Enjoy trip. Book return flight.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I once had half a day in Rome between trains... instead of stessing around to see something famous we wandered around and ended up in an open market, selling fish, meat, cheese, livestock, clothes, plants.... I don't know exactly where it was anymore, but it was a really cool experience.

What I'm trying to say is, if you only have two days, my advice would be not to pack too much into them, but rather do one or two things and give yourself time enjoy them.

Not that dmun's list doesn't make me wonder if I did the right thing...
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances is probably right, a day spent in a neighborhood market or cafe is better spent than a frenzied round of check-off-that-site.

The New York Times weighs in on things to do at night.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
            Frances is probably right, a day spent in a neighborhood market or cafe is better spent than a frenzied round of check-off-that-site.
            I heartily agree with that. The main tourist sites really have become a zoo. The locals are long gone, and the only people there are tourists and immigrants trying to sell them knock-off watches, sunglasses and handbags. :-)

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks to all for the information. That is exactly what my friends were looking for. Great advice about the market!

Loren

Comment

If you have time, near the coliseum, see Michelangelo's Moses...really excellent and never crowded. It is in a small church very near the coliseum called San Pietro in Vincoli.

Drake
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
                X