Pompeii Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii Oven

Just got back from vacationing in Europe and had a chance to visit Pompeii. A lot of the city is closed for restoration but it is still worthwhile. Didn't see as many ovens as I would have liked but we were rushed for time. If you have the chance - do it...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Les,

On my bucket list along with Herculeum, was in Rome a while back but never made it over to this area, so it is on the hit list. Amazing how long this arches last!
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hey Les -

I was just there about a month ago! Toured Pompeii, Herculeum. Crazy thing, one of the best pizzas I had on my trip was at a little tourist trap restaurant by the train station in Herculeum.

Did you make it to Naples to visit Via Tribunali? Wall to wall Vera Neopolitan pizzerias. I stopped at more than a few. First one is Sorbillo - he has 4-5 places around Naples and is supposed to be the one of the best (not sure I agreed) and second is Di Matteo - takeaway only
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Sorbillo.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	394621Click image for larger version

Name:	Di Matteo.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	394622
      Last edited by deejayoh; 11-21-2016, 11:33 AM.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

One of the stops was Naples but spent very little time there. After Pompeii we went to Sorrento. We had a pizza there and for as simple as it was, tasted very good.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les,
          if you are still in that area Vico Equense, a short train ride from Pompeii, has a place called the University of Pizza. They have three large ovens there and sell pizza by the metre, worth a visit.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I had been to Pompeii before but this is the first time where I was interested in their ovens. I wandered around quite a bit and stuck my head in a few ovens. This is the only one that I took pictures of the inside. You have to remember that this oven is between 2000 and 2700 years old. Obviously it has not been used for nearly 2000 years, but it looks as good as new. Click image for larger version

Name:	oven interior.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	531.2 KB
ID:	445669 Click image for larger version

Name:	oven exterior.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	665.1 KB
ID:	445670
            Of course you build up a big appetite with all of that walking and have to stop at Michele's in Naples for a few pies. The sauce on these pizzas is quite runny. Also, I noticed this time how salty the crust is. At 6 euros each, these are a great deal. And super delicious.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Michele's pizza.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	445671

Comment

Working...
            X