Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dolf's Bushveld Oven

Hello Dolf,

Chris is right, something to keep baboons off the roof seems in order. Is there a local deterrent that they avoid, aside from lions? I'm thinking maybe a natural, organic plant or some such that you wouldn't find objectionable but would repel them.

Best of luck,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Or a hot wire?

Ive got one of these and they pack a wild punch.....trust me.....it hurts.....

The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Dolf,

After my post this morning I did some internet research on "baboon deterrent" and found five things that might help keep the mess on your oven to a minimum. A large rubber snake or two will deter the baboons for awhile until they realize it won't hurt them. I've attached a wire to rubber snakes to deter quail and rabbits from my garden. Tug on the wire to make the decoy move while the animals are resent and they will scatter quickly.

Second is an infra-red motion detector that emits a sound that the baboons can hear. It scares them away when they come near.

Third is an electric fence. I've been stung by this kind of fence when clearing weeds and it does work effectively. I no longer clear weeds by the fence. LOL.

Fourth is to teach them to eat grapes. If you have a winery nearby then the baboons will go there to dine from the vines and sip a bit of pinot noir. I was surprised to read about the problems SA farms have from grape stealing baboons. Their fields are so vast and the troops so mobile that repelling the beasts is near impossible.

Finally, you might build a perch for the baboon lookout that might distract them from perching on your oven. A better place to see from, etc.

Cheers,
        Last edited by azpizzanut; 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM. Reason: correct mis-spelling
        Bob

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks. Great supportas always!

Some of my baboon responses are:
          # While an electric fence does not keep them out, it may very well make them want to sit elsewhere. maybe
          # As you say the rubber snake also works for a while, but since I am away for many days on end, that is unlikely to have a lasting effect. I have seen one of them playing with my neighbour's rubber snake. nope
          # The motion/sound one is new to me so I will chew on that some more. front runner
          # Better perch? Like my chimney I guess
          # The thorns do not do much as I often see them high up in trees with huge thorns. So spikes may take away more (ugly) than scare away. nope

None the less, thank you very much for all the effort you put into finding me options! I really appreciate!!

For starters I will see how bad it gets. There is not too much for them to eat & do in the area, so while they come round often enough , I doubt if they will stay that long, so my prime concern for now is to make it strong enough to take a few of them at a time with some added jumps sure to happen and from there see if/how bad the mess gets.

When the dome was done and before insulation, I very cautiosly stepped onto the dome as a tester and it took my 90Kg rock solid (half what I expected, yet scary/very satisfying )

Either way - oven building is great fun!!

Comment

This stuff always works.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

..but strange enough it does not always the desired effect! I read a very interresting article which shows that the social structures are such that if you remove the wrong individuals from a pack, the group discipline goes aray and then you end up with all kinds of negative consequinces.

I have made peace with the fact that we all share Africa and a compromise here & there goes far. I after all, I also get great value from the amusement they offer at times. Perhaps I do not pay for the show in money, but have to wash the oven/porch afterwards

Comment

I wouldnt shoot them either, Id find another way to control/train/restrict them.

We have introduced Indian Mynah birds in Melbourne, 2 were released back in the 40's now they are a plague all up the eastern side of OZ.

Ive tried everything to stop/control them from eating the fruit off the trees, my latest weapon is severed halloween heads in the garden.

They got used to it.
                Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-07-2011, 12:34 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Shooting them could be a problem. I tell my kids you can kill anything you want, as long as you eat it. So, if you shoot the baboons your next project will have to be a smoker. I bet baboon could be pretty tasty after a few hours on the smoker.
                  http://cookinginmyyard.com

Comment

HTML Code:
                    As for the baboons, maybe a spiked roof would encourage them to stay off!
                    One of the more unique problems that I have ever heard about. What about two or three BIG dogs?

Comment

That is what hapens when you want to keep things as natural as you can. Sometimes the leopard takes a buck and the porcupines are sure to eat the roots off any newly planted thing (hence the stack of rocks at the foot of my aloe)
                      Dogs would definitely help, but then the ground birds and small buck that feed in front of our window, would also not stay undesturbed.
                      No, as I said, I have made peace with it, I just need to make very sure my roof can support the load. Did anybody ever do a "destruction test"on how much weight a typical 42 can take?

Comment

Unless you have Gorillas nesting on it I don't think you need to worry (and probably not then).

Comment

Guess i'm setting some sort of slow progress record, but at last got some work done again. Pic 1 shows the insulation build up and the other two shows progress after closing the dome and adding one quarter of the final rock stack

Now I need to cure the baby! We had some rain while in the state of pic one, so all that rain that went into the vermiculite will have made for lots of water trapped. Guess I will have to take it very slow?

Cheers
                          Dolf

Comment

Hello Dolf,

That looks like a very nice start for a baboon monument. As long as you've made peace with the concept of visiting baboons why don't you go all the way with the idea and develop a theme park just for their entertainment, then charge an admission fee. Joking aside. I am happy that you are ma
                            Bob

Comment

Part 2............

ooops !! How'd that happen?

I am happy you are making progress again. You have a unique panorama of the horizon and a great oven build going on. Best of luck with the curing/drying ptocess.

Cheers,
                              Bob

Comment

Looks great Dolf. How about a picture with the baboon.
                                Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Working...
                                X