I love my Primavera 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my Primavera 60

Have been using my Primavera 60 for about a month now and just love using it. Have produced by far my best pizzas yet. From the time I ordered it, to the time I was making pizzas was three weeks. Am always looking forward to the next time of firing it up!

Check out the blog feature on 'Slice':

My Pizza Oven: Sue Wong - Busy, WFO-Obsessed Moms, Represent! | Slice Pizza Blog

Good eating!
    Sue

Re: I love my Primavera 60

Sue,

That is so incredibly cool! I really like your blog on Slice -- you are having too much fun.

James
    Last edited by james; 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi Sue,

Glad to see you have caught "the fever" -- the WFO fever!

It is a bunch of fun learning to use the wood fired oven, and it looks like you and your family are enjoying the process.. Good job.

I look forward to your efforts with other dishes. The WFO can do just about everything - better!

Keep us posted on what's cooking.

JED

Comment

Hey Jed,

Good to hear from you! You were the one that answered my yeast % question on my other thread. It helped quite a bit. Since then, I've reduced the yeast to 3 grams (per 500 g of flour) and actually took the salt down to to 6 g. Also have a much better sense of how long to ferment the dough in the Arizona weather. So I'm quite happy with results. It's so much fun to watch the dough rise as soon as it hits the oven floor.

I just bought Nancy Silverton's book on La Brea Bread, so as soon as I get a chance I'm going to try to replicate her sour dough crust. It's so amazing... Will post when I get around to it.

Sue

Comment

Sue,

In addition to Nancy's book, there is a wealth of information about working with sourdough on this forum. I have been experimenting with the ideas presented in this link

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/...ust-12653.html

And have been pleased with the results.

JED

Comment

Jed,

Yeah! I saw this thread and was inspired to try the sourdough crust. I think I'll use her recipe to make the crust, but didn't know how to get the starter going. Nancy Silverton's method requires 12 days and seems quite involved, but I think I may give it a try. What have you done in terms of get a sourdough starter?

Sue

Comment

Hi Sue!

Be warned! As a busy MOM sourdough may have timing issues that will make it unappealing to you. While pizza timing is relatively forgiving, bread is more demanding if you want the "best" results. Splat's recipe is essentially ciabatta dough. Pizza, ciabatta, and focaccia doughs are similar enough and overlap enough that they can form somewhat of a continuum. My main distinction is I don't use oil in ciabatta, rarely use it in pizza dough, and use a lot of it in focaccia (mainly after forming/dimpling). But...recipes overlap. A key difference is bread needs enough structural strength to allow it to be freestanding if you make baguettes and boules - which tends to limit the hydration to the 70 percent range.

If you find timing issues to be a problem, it is my experience that Reinhart's retarded overninght doughs provvide most of the flavor with easier timing due to the relative predictability of IDY (instant dry yeast).

Good Luck and Enjoy the Oven!
              Jay

Comment

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll think I'll try the pizza first and see if I have the time to try the bread. I'm so curious about the natural starter though and would also like to try to use my oven to bake a loaf of bread. Will check out Reinhart's retarded overnight dough too. There's so much experimenting to do and so little time!

Sue

Comment

I've switched exclusively to using sourdough for both bread and pizza over the past year, and really like it. I got the starter from Sourdough Cultures. Keeping the temperature accurate when you first start it is a bit tricky, but since then I just feed it and put it out on the counter a day or two before I'm going to use it and it has been working great.

Congrats on the new oven - looks great!
                  Pizza Oven Picture Gallery
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/toddfas/PizzaOvenProject

Comment

Working...
                  X