Another Roman Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Roman Oven

In my travels I've run across another Roman oven in Provence, France.

It's interesting in that it is similar to the oven that I built, an egg shaped or oval oven very similar to the Benjamia Bakehouse Project oven.

One cannot be certain how much of the original oven exists but the footprint is probably accurate....interesting how low the hearth seems to be.
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Another Roman Oven

BTW, it's in a huge villa ruin, probably a commercial operation bakery....
    ....in Vaison la Romaine, the largest archaeological site in France.
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

We're going to Provence in late October. Doing a self guided cycle tour that takes in little villages via back roads, shall keep an eye out for Vaison la Romaine.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Guessing from the door and the likely height, it was probably put low for management reasons. An oven that deep would be more difficult to cook in if you looked in straight on than at a downward angle. Would also explain the flared opening.

At least that's my theory. The Buddhist pose in a Roman oven is ... disconcerting? Okay, it's just plain weird. But then again, I hardly have any claim to normalcy!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Did you hear about the Buddhist who went to the dentist and refused painkillers because he wanted transcend dental medication?
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            Did you hear about the Buddhist who went to the dentist and refused painkillers because he wanted transcend dental medication?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	lmbo.gif
Views:	3
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	280966

That's hysterical!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X