Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz

Well I learned my first lesson...do not start drinking beer until after you measure.....my form is just a little bit too small. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I was thinking about adding a 4" pad to the front and connecting it with rebar...........this was my first concrete pour so I'm open to suggestions.

Also how do I span the wood storage opening on a corner install. Can I still use angle??? If so how???

You should be able to use me as the "Anyone can build a brick oven" poster child by the time i am done....just sticky my thread...lol.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Everyone in my circle is "Fired UP" about the new oven so hopefully we will have some new members soon.

Chris (ThinCrust) Clay

Re: Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz

Is there any way to build it without the 8" block??? See picture

Comment

What does "a little bit" mean?

Comment

Originally posted by ThinCrust99 View Post
        Is there any way to build it without the 8" block??? See picture
        Can't you cut the blocks to fit? Is that what you're trying to achieve?

George
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Try this.

Take the last 1/2 block away from the front so it doesn't over lap the ground slab.

When you get to the structural suspended slab, cantilever it out the front as needed. With proper reinforcing, a 4 inch slab will span your opening with no additional support and will easily cantilever out 8 to 10 inches or so.

The finished product will look like you designed it this way from the start.

Comment

Also, you might want to checkout the pics from my stand which is a very similar size/shape. I had a contractor do that part and they used much thinner vertical blocks and just built a form with some re-bar in it to span the opening. I'm guessing the thinner blocks would make it easier to fit to your slab.

I have seen a few folks comment on how most stands you see on this site tend towards being over engineered. Initially I was a bit concerned that my stand might not hold the weight of the oven but it has been really firm - no cracking or moving so far and I am pretty much done with the heavy stuff.
            Pizza Oven Picture Gallery
            http://picasaweb.google.com/toddfas/PizzaOvenProject

Comment

Angle steel should work fine to span across the opening for the wood box, but I'd go at least 2 x 2 inch (x 0.125 inch) for such a span (even that dimension angle will flex noticably over two or so feet). C-channel is another thought. Once your reinforced cantilevered platform is set, you could remove the steel angle, which over time outdoors will rust anyway.

Comment

Think of replacing the "angle iron" with additional rebar in the slab across the lintel. Your suspended slab should be about 2% rebar, just add a couple of extra 1/2 inch bars across the lintel. Make sure that at least 12 inches of the ends of these two bars extend back into the sides (or down into the walls) to anchor them.
                Last edited by Neil2; 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Ok, lots of good stuff. I am going to remove the 8" block and will build the cantapronounceit -aka "shelf". Reinforce it with rebar that goes at least 12" (probably more) back into the slab. (extra 2x4's under the shelf to support it before the pour I assume?).

I will dry stack and pour this week hopefully and post more pics

Thanks

Chris

Comment

I wouldn't remove the 8 inch block. But instead I would get an angle grinder, a $10 diamond grinding wheel, and trim the edges off the 16 inch blocks behind the 8 inch block. You would have to do it to each course, but the grinding wheel is pretty easy to use and goes quickly. The span will be no problem with angle Iron.
                    WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

I would cut the block and use the angle iron...the angle iron is cheap for the support it provides. Here is a picture of my corner. How are you finishing the exterior?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	angleiron.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	280950

Comment

If you reinforce your platform, one it sets you won't need an angle iron. But if you keep it, do yourself a favor and get a pint of good "rusty metal" primer from the hardware store (not the usual spray can of gray primer), and then follow up with an enamel of your choice. You should get years of no rust with that combo in an outdoor environment.

Comment

Ok...filling the cores tomorrow. Then working on form for the hearth slab. I decided to build about a 6" cantilever (shelf) off the front to extend the landing. I want to bend some rebar to go out to the shelf...what is the best way to bend it at home?

So if I do the shelf then I wouldn't be able to use the angle iron? Do I just support the shelf from underneath with like some 4x4's?

this thing has my mind churning.....so funny...

Chris

Comment

to bend my rebar for the hearth, I used a 3 foot section of metal pipe and an old clothesline post. I would put the rebar down the hole, grab it where I wanted it to bend, stick it in the large pipe cross piece of the clothesline up to where the bend needed to be, stick the pipe on it, then pull down till it was 90 degrees. I mixed that and pulling it over the cross piece for the roundish bends on the front of mine.
                            a word of warning***
                            I extended the front of my hearth a bit...maybe 8 inches. Once you have all that extra shelf in front of the landing it becomes really far to get to the back of the Oven. I havn'tfinished my build but I can already see that I would not make it so big next time.
                            WCD

Comment

By the way, you can use rebar and angle Iron. here you can see my angle Iron

and here is the rebar
                              WCD

Comment

Working...
                              X