My Low Dome Pizza Oven Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Low Dome Pizza Oven Project

Nice, glad to hear everything is coming along well.

Comment

Any more updates on the oven maybe some pictures???? Would love to see what it looks like and how it is cooking.

Comment

Mostly done. Working on finishing off the exterior. Somewhere alon the way I lost my camera but have borrowed another one for some recent pics. I will post them later in the day. I think I have some pie photos too.

Pizzas - I have been working on my technique. You name it, I have probably f'ed it up. I have done maybe 5 pizza bakes so far. I did have one really good bake. The temp was just right. Doing a lot of experimenting trying to figure some stuff out to make the pies the way I want. I have moved to IDY for a while after a really sour batch of naturally leavened dough and will go back and do some comparison batches. I am going to try an experiment raising the floor (half the floor), and also try the oven with smaller door opening. I also need to get some better oven tools. My peel is pretty good but I need to get a better wood stick and turning stick.

Ok pics in a bit.

Comment

Ok here are some pics. I only had one pie picture and it was from one of the first bakes. I am guilty of not taking enough pics for sure. Some pics are big, sorry.

Comment

More pics.

Comment

Looks good. I like how you did the chimney and the metal frame entry. How hot are you baking and for how long? Don't forget to put pictures of the finished oven. I don't take a lot of pictures either usually because my hands aren't clean or the pizza doesn't look good enough to take one.

Comment

Temp I am aiming for it 1000+ on the dome, 750-850 on the floor. It takes wood maintenance to maintain the higher end of that and I am sure the pie pictured was baked at a lower temp. I am going to do a bake today as I try to install the roof. I'll see if I can get a good read with each pie this time.

Anway, I hate stucco. Definitely not a skill I want to learn more about. The front of the oven around the opening is going to be tiled, hopefully by the wife. Should look good when it is all done. then the landscaping. lol.

thanks
                D

Comment

Any more pictures? I would love to see if you have finished the outside. If possible some pictures of the inside of the oven with and without flames. Sorry if I'm being pushy.

Comment

I lost my camera a while ago so have been remiss in taking enough pics. Next time I bake, I really need to remember to take the camera out there and take some pics of everything including some pies. I have gotten pretty good at working the oven and peel technique to make them fairly round. Also looking to get a real work surface out there to be able to line up 3 pies at once. Right now I am working off a cutting board and it has worked so far but time to raise the bar a bit on what I can do.

Everything seems to be getting better together. I am learning more, becoming more experienced, and the oven is aging well, taking less wood and time to get to temp.

Attached is the last pic I have showing the stucco but not the roof shingles on. The oven has not progressed much more beyond this point. At some point I have to deal with the landing and tiling the front of the oven. And there is still the landscaping to do, lol.

FWIW - I am also looking to do an experiment and move the floor up to try to see what difference it makes. 16" now, would bring it to 13.5 with a second layer of bricks.

Comment

Nice job the oven looks great. Keep up the good work. Something you might want to look into is making a mahogany peel or have one made. They make getting the pizza off into the oven really easy and it keeps shape once you get used to it. Another up side is using almost no flour, just a clap of your hands over it when you are done opening the skin is all it takes. A tip though if you do end up making a peel is not make it more than 1/3" thick. I had one made and it was WAY to thick so I had to plain it down to 1/2" which was the most I could take off.

Comment

Working...
                      X