Argentinean parrilla and 42" oven outdoor kitchen in Surrey/London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argentinean parrilla and 42" oven outdoor kitchen in Surrey/London

Dear all, I thought I'd post a few pics of my current build of an Argentinean Parrilla (BBQ) and 42" oven build as perhaps they may be of interest. Having only just thought to start photo documenting I'm afraid no pics from the start. So far we have excavated, laid foundations and laid the frame which is all brick (to match the house) and poured the hearth. I will start taking more photos as we build the oven and the parrilla goes up, enjoy!

Re: Argentinean parrilla and 42" oven outdoor kitchen in Surrey/London

Hello Gaucho, just wanted to tell you how beautiful the brick work is. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression. Awesome!

Comment

The base of the parrilla is now in place amd the walls coming up. We've also laid the CF board, oven floor and the first course of bricks. Wow those refractory bricks are fun to cut! We managed to burn out a diamond coated masonry blade before we realised that they need to be soaked before you cut them. Did anybody else find it was really very tricky getting a dead level cooking area? We spent absolutely ages picking our best bricks and leveling and it's still not perfect. Did anybody consider using some sort of belt sander over the cooking surface to really make sure it is dead flat with no seams to catch a pizza paddle?

Oh and thanks rodeair for the complement, we've spent time on the brickwork. You see we never wanted to use construction blocks, the whole thing is made from interlaced double rows of bricks. Although expensive, it looks better because the whole three units (grill, oven, and sink/prep area) fit together nicely.

It's also funny but when the oven actually starts going up you realise that 42" is huge and that although we measured carfeully, we've had to shrink to about a 40.5" internal diameter to make everything fit. It's still more than adequate though so no worries. Tomorrow let's see how many courses of oven we can build.

Comment

I like the way the oven fits into a corner and the transition arch in the corner in front of the oven. Very clean.
        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Polystyrere forms in, some more of the oven has gone up. Parrilla also starting to take shape. How many people out of interest have even heard of a parrilla? It's not so known here in the UK but it's such a fantastic was of grilling food over wood coal, the results are superb, better than any other grilling method I'm aware of. All will become clear as it goes up. The chimney also arrived, it's massive! Bigger than I thought, it's only 8" internal diameter but its a twin wall insulated system and the cowel on top looks like a UFO! Is an 8" internal flue overkill for a 40.5" oven? Oh well at least it's going to work well, I may have to brick it in though or use some stucco on it - at present it looks like a giant stainless steel rocket! A bit out of keeping with the rest of the 'Japanese' garden...

If I were to use stucco over it, would I first have to wrap it in chicken wire to give the stucco something to grip, has anybody come across a similar issue?

Comment

8" internal flue overkill for a 40.5" oven?
            No, not at all. I have an 8" squareish flue on a 36, and it works like a champ.
            If I were to use stucco over it, would I first have to wrap it in chicken wire to give the stucco something to grip, has anybody come across a similar issue?
            It depends on the type of insulation you're using. If you use the vermiculite, you can pat it into something like the final shape during application. If you're using the blanket only, it may be a little lumpy for direct stucco application. Some builders use vermiculite concrete over the blanket to address this very issue.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi dmun,

Did you mean for covering the chimney with stucco? That is which I was wondering about because I'm not so keen on the stainless steel look but seeing as it's as big as it is my original plan of bricking it in might be tricky. Thus I wanted to perhaps have the shape of the igloo continue into the chimney right up to the top. I'm sure some sort of extra grip would be needed right? Also seeing as the chimney is already insulated I wouldn't need any extra insulation over it would I?

Incidentally we have bought 4 roll's of 25cm blanket to insulate the dome with. I had thought about what to put ontop of the dome to get a nice shape and I have decided to use a rigidiser spray on the blanket after it's chicken wired on to make it hard, then I'm going to use a ceramic fibre mastic over the top of the blanket to give the initial igloo shape before the stucco. The benefit is that the CF mastic has similar insulating properties as the CF board the oven sits on so not only will it give us the shape but it will also deliver extra insulation at a very high level - much more so than vermiculite concrete. We got a 25kg tub which should be enough for a 2cm layer all round. I've gone a bit overboard on insulation because the oven sits quite close to a fence. My first few firings will be closely supervised and if there is any douby I'll have to replace the fence with a brick wall. How hot does the outside of your igloo get? Hot enough that it would make you worry about setting a fence in close proximity alight? Anyhow, I wonder if anybody else has used rigidiser spray on their blanket and then CF mastic to render the initial dome shape? I could be unwittingly a pioneer!

Comment

After a worry about the size of the vent/landing work has now restarted and the parrilla is going up a treat. Could it be I might be nearing completeion? That would surely be too good to be true, I wonder what my next panic will be?

Comment

More work more photos, it's very almost finished.

Could I ask, is curing the oven the very last step or can you cure it after the insulation is applied but before the waterproof stucco finishes it? Seems to me sensible to cure the oven before it is made waterproof as it would then trap the water in? Thanks guys for any advice.

Comment

Yes you can start curing once the insulation is on. Just go slow with the fires, some people have used charcoal briquets to better control the amount of heat. Good luck, your oven is shaping up nicely.
                    Eric

Comment

HI Gaucho,

Great pics and shed loads of work. Out of interest what insulation, how much of it do you intend to use? Whats the white board under the oven? I'm well on my way to building my first oven and trying to source materials seems to be difficult if you don't know what your after in the first place...lol

Comment

Hi
                        I have recently started reading about Feng Shui and learned that our kitchen is in the worst part of the house (Northwest) and that a kitchen should never be red (ours is cranberry red). I really don't want to repaint our kitchen white but am open to other colors that are good Feng Shui for attracting good luck, prosperity, wealth, etc.
                        Kitchen accessories

Comment

Great work so far. I can't wait to see it all completed!

Comment

Could you please expound of what makes a Parrilla different from a barbq grill? Before anyone complains, I am simply including links because it appears I cannot add a jpg or gif to a reply, and I represent neiother of the 2 companies below. I am a customer of the first, however.

For instance, we have a grill out here in California which looks like this:

Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters

Then, there is a really expensive Parrilla here:

The Grillworks 36

When I go to wikipedia, there are two kinds of parrilla....asado al disco and asado al horno de barro.

It appears that if I take a worn out disk plow or harrow blade, and weld three legs to it, I have an asado al disco. Build a fire under the asado al disco, and meat will cook channeling the grease to the center of the disk where it will drain. It appears that an asado al horno de barro is a wood fired oven like the subject of this forum, with a steel or cast iron rack that can be slid into the oven to hold meats. It also appears that a Parrillo refers to a low and slow grilling versus a sear.....Could you fill us all in? I am intensely curious.

Comment

A word of warning: a lot of the south american hornos have vents at or near the top of the dome, an approach that's been thoroughly discredited.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                              X