• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Argentinean parrilla and 42" oven outdoor kitchen in Surrey/London

Thanks Gaucho for the explanation.
    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

First attempt at baking bread in the oven. There's a few feet of snow on the ground but for some reason that made it feel extra special to be baking bread outside!

Comment

I really like the parrilla grill you have. I have looked at some on youtube since your post. So far, of all the grills I have seen, I like yours best. Could you post a new thread on this subject in the "traditional grill design" section. I would like to hear more about it, as well as see more pix. Would the coals from your oven feed the grill, or just that burning area to the left of the grill? What is your favorite tool to move hot coals with?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Gaucho, for your first time that's pretty good looking bread. Looks like you've done this before.

Comment

Honestly it was my first attempt at baking bread! I suppose being a pro photographer helps that it looks nice

I think the parrilla is a very smart addition to the WFO, I raked all my coals out when I was baking bread the other day and used them to grill some pieces of chicken. It was a bit amateur really because I just had my old grill surface propped up on bricks but once I finally get round to installing the proper grill it will be very useful. Fire the oven for baking or roasting or even pizza and then use it as a supply of coals to run a grill. I'm sure many of you have thought to yourselves when raking nice coals out of the oven that it's a shame not to be using those coals to do something else? My idea is to be able to do a full spread for guests; a selection of grilled meats complemented by a full selection of roast bits from the oven. Or maybe pizza; the combinations seem endless. The parrilla comes with four important tools; the wood cage for wood burning, a coal shovel to move the coals to the cooking area, long tongs for handling hot logs, and a scraper which is very good for leveling the coals. The access to the underside of the gril for heat control can't be underestimated and is the chief reason the design trumps the standard coal under grill area design but then no access. If you are doing a bife de chorizo (sirloin steak - a classic argentine cut), you need to stack up coals in one small area for a very hot flash of both sides then move your steak over to a lesser heat to cook through. This way you get that nice chargrilled outside but the buttery soft interior. The other nice thing about the design is that the grill comes in three pieces which can be removed and changed. I have a flat pan in addition to the normal groved chanels which I can use to fry vegatables or fish. When I lived in Argentina and lots of people including kids would come for lunch, one classic was to marinate a big bowl of chicken thigh fillets in herbs and lemon the night before then grill them on the parrilla with a big pile of onions frying on the side to make chicken fillet burgers. It was a very simple and cheap way of feeding a big party and people loved it. Now I could fire my oven then use the coals to grill whilst having kept all that heat inside the oven to use after for whatever. A smart move.

Anyhow I guess most of this will make sense once I've finished buiding it and can post photos. I'm still just waiting for the weather to get better although what with Christmas I imagine it'll be January by the time I get out there again and then will post a new thread in traditional grill design.

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Wow !!!

I thought that the americans were the king of the back yard bbq, but, really, that is a well thought out design. I am going to find a way to incorporate that design into my outdoor kitchen. Are you having your metal parts manufactured locally, or are the parts readily and cheaply available commercially? Hate to reinvent the wheel, if it is more cheaply available thru some argentenian source.

Moving the coals from the oven to the grill seems perfection. Currently, I am using 2 metal buckets for live coals, but it is a crappy solution. Lots of spillage. I was thinking of having a metal trough built out of sheet metal. I could go to a farm supply store, but those are all made out of galvanized metal, which could produce some kind of bad off gassing.

Comment

Hey Gaucho....been a while. You must be grilling by now.

Comment

Here is a set of plans for a parrilla. Mine is under construction and I found these plans to be very useful. What is does not show is the slant of the back wall. Most of the parrilla's I have seen have about a 15% slant on the back wall.
                  Attached Files
                  Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Guacho,

This is awesome. I'm currently building a pizza oven in Clapham, London. Can you tell me where you sourced the foam like stuff holding up the dome from (the white bit doing the supporting whilst you built)?

Goerge

Comment

Oooh one more did you use the fibre panels and blankets mentioned in the guide? If so where did you source these from?

Comment

Hi George,

Sorry haven't checked this thread in a long time. If you want any help still send me a PM. Thanks

Comment

I just realised that I never posted a pic of the finished article. Here you are!

Comment

Gaucho1

Hi, love your finished pictures. Where did you purchase the Argentinian Grill kit from? Finding it hard was yours imported?

Comment

Hi Gaucho. I know this post has been on since many years ago but I'll take my chance to see if you read it. I have brought the parrilla from Bs As and I need to build it. I have the design and all that but I'm struggling to find good price for "refractory bricks" I know they are expensive but I'm trying to find different prices as possible. Where did you get yours? and at what price? I'm in the UK but in Scotland. Thanks! and by the way, your parrilla and oven look awesome! I absolutely loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by gaucho1 View Post
                                Originally posted by gaucho1 View Post

I just realised that I never posted a pic of the finished article. Here you are!

Absolutely Gorgeous

Comment

Working...
                                X