Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first brick oven

Hi

I have now admired many of the oven's shown on this site and now I think it is time to show a couple of pictures from my project.
    I must say that it has been a challenge to build it so far, but a good and exiting challenge.
    The picture does not show it, but I have now finished the dome and the first pizza's have been made. It took 5 minutes pr. pcs, but so far there is no insulation on the oven so it is tough to keep the temperature high enough.

Now im just waiting for the spring time so that I can finish the oven and start to experiment with all the good recepies you can find on this site

I will be back with some more pictures when the frost is gone here in Denmark.

Re: My first brick oven

Congratulations on building your oven! Do you plan to enclose it, or leave it a dome shape? More pictures are good
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

No underfloor insulation?
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        No underfloor insulation?
        A moot point now
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
          A moot point now
          Not really as all the heat will just leak out into the slab and the oven will never get hot.

Better to fix it before the oven is advanced further Id think?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            Not really as all the heat will just leak out into the slab and the oven will never get hot.

Better to fix it before the oven is advanced further Id think?
            Its moot because he says he has finished the oven dome......Unless he disassembles it
            Last edited by Lburou; 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Haha didnt see that bit, I just looked at the pretty pictures...

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Take it apart and re-build with some under floor insulation.

Comment

He is no worse off than the hundreds and hundreds of members here who put insulation on the bottom of their hearths....It just takes more fire

This is his first post, lets be as kind as we can be about all this.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Your are right, there is no insulation under the oven. I put a lot of thought in if I should do it or not. At the end I decided not to and see what happens. If it is a problem I will insulate under the concreete. But as one pointed out it is my first oven and there will of cause be some lessons learned.
                    The dome will of cause be insulated with 15" of vermiculite-concrete, just waiting for better weather.
                    I have attached a picture of the "finished dome" and the first little fire inside

Comment

Ooops, the picture does not look good in this system, I will poste a better one later.

Comment

"If it is a problem I will insulate under the concreete. "

My advice is to insulate between the structural slab and the hearth bricks.

In addition to the heat retention issue, without insulation you could be heating your structural slab too much. Concrete starts to give up the ghost around 600 F and the reinforcing steel will start to loose strength at temperatures as low as 500F.
                        Last edited by Neil2; 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X