Egyptian beer making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egyptian beer making

OK, I know this isn't an oven, but I still think it's cool, and I know we have a lot home brewers in the group. We went to an Egyptian Museum in San Jose, CA last weekend, and I really like this. It is a small sculpture of beer making -- which is very similar to bread. Note the buy with the writing pad; he was the tax assessor. They were counting and taxing alcohol 5,000 years ago. :-)
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Egyptian beer making

Check out Oztops online. It is the easiest way to make good cheap booze and requires no bottle washing. I've been making three litres of cider for less than $1 /litre each week for about 5 years.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Re: Egyptian beer making

Since we're off topic. 16 years ago my daughter and son-in-law were teaching at the American University in Cairo. One of my granddaughter's was born there and was named after the national beer...Stella. Her brother (born here in the US after they finished their contract) they named Porter.

Although primarily a Muslim country the beer is brewed by Coptic Christians. They produce both a domestic and export label. The difference being the export label beer is filtered...Once while visiting them, I actually opened a domestic label bottle and found a fly bottled therein. From then on I always poured the beer into a glass before drinking. The photo of a tee shirt sums it up.."That which does not kill us makes us stonger."

Except in upscale hotels, beer and spirits are not openly for sale (at least at that time). One contracted with a Coptic merchant, who delivered beer to your door in unmarked cloth bags with the bottles padded so they wouldn't clink together, all very descreet.

Bests,
      Wiley

Comment

Working...
      X