Igloo in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igloo in Canada

Hello all, started a build this week. Figured I should share pics as thanks to all the free information from Forno Bravo and it's members. Going for a 36" igloo style oven. It's kind of a small space to work with, but I think it will work nicely when all said and done.

Working space:
    Last edited by countrysidebc; 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM.

Re: Igloo in Canada

One more course to go, then corefill:

Last edited by countrysidebc; 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Blocks are core filled, forming is almost done, concrete pour on monday.

Comment

Great looking design! Should work nicely with the space, especially the countertop areas. What's the scaffolding for?

Comment

Thanks Gianni. I am using the scaffold to hold up a tarp over the area, we are still getting a lot of rain lately on the island.

Comment

Poured the counter tops/oven support today, weather was not very cooperative. We rigged up a cover to keep the rain off the slab. Planning to do more finishing work on the slab tomorrow after it sets up a bit.

Comment

Stripped the sides of the forms today and went over the slab with a fine grit mesh sandpaper while washing it. Softened the top edges and gave the slab a bit of texture without exposing to much aggregate so it wouldn't be so tough to clean.

I wanted to get the insulation from FB but the shipping to Canada was quite expensive. Thanks to a thread on FB, I got the insulating board and blanket at Clayburn refractories in Vancouver. Big thanks to them, they were very helpful, one of their sales reps was heading to the island and he was nice enough to bring it all over saving me on shipping costs.

Looking forward to the fun part, the oven and the stonework. Probably won't start that until Monday, just to give the slab some time to cure. It's been very cool and rainy here lately, so I suspect it will be curing very slowly.

Some more pics: (still have tarps overhead and a cloudy day, so the pics are pretty grainy)

Justin
              Last edited by countrysidebc; 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good concrete counter top sealer? I think it would look nice and keep them cleaner if I applied a sealer (after the oven is done and concrete cures). I like the look of the slab when it is wet, perhaps a sealer that will give a deeper colour without being to shiny. Thanks.

Comment

an update, stonework is almost done and I have started the layout for the oven. We are using a 5" bed local sandstone for the facing and I found a nice big rock (Montana Sandstone) to serve as a header over the wood box.

It was raining quite a bit yesterday, as you can see we have strategically placed coffee cups to catch the drops through the leaky tarp lol

Comment

Wow!!!
                    Fantastic start. I can't wait to see the rest. This is going to be a fun thread to watch!

dusty

Comment

thanks dusty, here some update photos:

Last edited by countrysidebc; 04-05-2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Found some 12"x12"x1 1/2" basalt for the hearth (hasn't been laid yet), put a profile on it and plan to polish them up to a nice shine. Saw a photo on here where you could see the reflection of the fire off some polished granite, hope to achieve the same look:

Comment

Very nice! I really like your design and the stone work looks excellent.

Comment

Working...
                          X