• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chidding
    replied
    Re: Perth WA Pizza Oven/Outdoor Kitchen

Hey All

Long time no see!

Patio extension has been completed, which means i could finally complete the chimney, had a double walled stainless made up with 2x45degree bends.. all insulated.. but damn it still gets hot on the outside.. no issues with the polycarbonate yet.. so fingers crossed im in the clear! otherwise will have to rethink and put a dropbox in to reinsulate where it passes through.

Finished curing.. took around 4-5days .. i couldnt resist cranking it.. thankfully i can say i have absolutely no cracks inside the dome at all.. not even one fine hairline fracture..

Have done some insulation but cant been seen in the pics.. will post more soon!

Had 2 pizza nights so far! already gone through 100+kg's of wood! i guess curing did most of that! time to find free sources of wood!

Pizza taste amazing.. so much better than I anticipated!

More pics to be found on the bloggity! 'That's Amore'

Leave a comment:

• eprante
    replied

Very nice looking oven. I like the metal stand. Enjoy the food!!
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Chris,
    Have you approached your local council? Up here and for most councils in Australia they require, for any construction, 1.5m clearance from your boundary fence. Make sure you get on good terms with your neighbour or they could make you pull the whole thing down. Pass pizza and bread over that fence and try not to let the oven smoke. Good luck, your work looks great.
    Dave

PS done those plates under the stand feet yet?
    No issues with sinking just yet, but next step is more legs.. 2 down the side. and 1 at the front.. and small plates under each.. definately on the to do ASAP list .

few months ago my side fence (one the pizza oven is against).. and back fence blew down.. for 2 months we had no fences.. in that time we all bonded... had BBQ's at eachothers houses.. he knows about the build and looks over every now and then to say hi/have a look..

He doesnt mind at all.. and knows exactly how the chimney setup will go.. (will be really high to avoid smoke in his house).

Im also doing a polycarbonate roof down to the fence.. and a gutter system tucked under the fence.. which coucil would die if they heard of that.. but again.. neighbour loves the idea as there is currently no visual privacy between my patio and his house..

Happy Wife Happy Life... more like.. Happy Neighbours Happy Life

thanks for the comments guys! cant wait till she's all done

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

great looking build...

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Chris,
    Have you approached your local council? Up here and for most councils in Australia they require, for any construction, 1.5m clearance from your boundary fence. Make sure you get on good terms with your neighbour or they could make you pull the whole thing down. Pass pizza and bread over that fence and try not to let the oven smoke. Good luck, your work looks great.
    Dave

PS done those plates under the stand feet yet?

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Noice.......

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Finally!

All the brickwork is completed! chimney spigot has been mounted and cemented + concrete screwed in, hoping this will not have issues with expansion but im guessing it should be ok!

Such a relief to pack away the brick saw! was getting sick of cleaning up the brick dust/mess every time! but hopefully it will be all worth it.

Next stage is to put a roof above the outdoorkitchen/pizza oven.. this will be a grey tinted polycarbonte to keep out the hot sun/rain! Doing that in 2 weeks, in the meantime, will attempt to cure it using heatbeads for chimineas.. hoping this is ok? will be using eco firelights so-as to not contaminate with kerosene.

Once roofing is done. it will be blanket/render time.. then chimney .. then PARTY!!!

soo happy

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by chidding View Post
    im so keen to get a huge fire roaring!!
    Slowly Glasshopper, slowly.

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

DOME COMPLETED!

Wow what a feeling, although it seems like this has gone on forever, its only been just over 2months, but im so glad to have got up to this stage so quickly.

Now to finish off the chimney spigot mounting and start the curing fires! I can tell I will have to restrain myself with the fires, as im so keen to get a huge fire roaring!!

Attached is some pics, wasnt able to get inside the oven so the gaps look quite big at the top, but are much tidier than they appear.

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

One more ring and a keystone to go! finally getting close!! this last ring was so complex in comparison to the rest. Managed to get them relatively lined up, although one brick from the inside looks abit dodgy, doubt anyone will ever see it.. or care for that matter.. not long till curing time!! hooray!

Leave a comment:

• alexi82
    replied

interesting...be interested to see how those bricks go on the floor...and also in heat retention as well....

yea shoot me a message on here if u have any leftovers...be defintly interested in purchasing...

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Got a pack of 256 or something for $300. From midland brick on armadale road. Used them for the floor aswell. For my 36inch oven I've got heaps left over. Can sell you the leftovers when I'm done If you looking for a cheap option.

Leave a comment:

• alexi82
    replied

Originally posted by chidding View Post
    Alex. These are just solid cream house bricks. They are fired at around 1400c so well above the temps a pizza oven will get!
    As to the performance... We shall find out very soon! Any questions for supplies on anything let me know.
    hey thanks for that. yea be interested in where you got them from and what you paid.

i built a barrel style oven about a year ago and used second hand fire bricks as the hearth and red brick for dome. worked perfectly fine but cutting old kiln bricks was a mongrel job...

what do you use for the cooking floor?

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Alex. These are just solid cream house bricks. They are fired at around 1400c so well above the temps a pizza oven will get!
    As to the performance... We shall find out very soon! Any questions for supplies on anything let me know.

Leave a comment:

• alexi82
    replied

hey there,

wondering where you got the firebricks from in Perth?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X