Any advice re Vaulted style of oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice re Vaulted style of oven

Having no experience with bricklaying, I have reviewed a number of pizza/bread oven designs and kind of like the front to back vaulted style with verticle side walls, because of the relative simplicity of the brick laying. And because of its rectangular or square foot print, it also seems to offer a larger area in which to cook.

Does anyone have any experience with this style of oven and if so, have you had any problems?

Re: Any advice re Vaulted style of oven

Search the site for Tscarborough's thread and build. I followed his general design and am very impressed, it works well.

Derk

Comment

Have a look at the Forno Bravo Pompeii oven plans. It has a pretty good description of how a round oven might be better for pizza. The round shape allows for more even cooking and fewer hot/cool spots. That being said I have not yet used either so I am in no way an authority. I like the look of the round oven. As far as the simplicity of the bricklayingI get the feeling that there is not any advantage of one over the other. If you are not a bricklayer you can learn to lay them in a circle just as easily as laying them in a straight line. Once again my biases are obvious and are based upon what I have read and not what I have done.

Comment

Hi Derk,
        Was Tscarborough's design vaulted or round domed?

Cheers

Comment

TS's is vaulted... and he cooks pizza just fine. For that matter, a triangular interior works (so me build thread).
          My oven (for now):
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Hi all
            Bricky's ovens (2) are both Vaults. I have a mate with a vault as well and while parts of the design I don't like It cooks a damn fine pizza

Regards Dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              Hi all
              Bricky's ovens (2) are both Vaults.
              This one?

It cooks everything just fine.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Brickie
                Thats right now I remember No 2 came out of the ashes of the first hence the 2 headed beastie on the front.....

regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I sent you the links via PM, let me know if they didn't go through.

Comment

Originally posted by fornoa View Post
                    and kind of like the front to back vaulted style with verticle side walls,
                    Have you cooked in it yet, it looks from the pics that it might have cold spots to the sides of the door?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

A vaulted oven should have the end walls inside the vault and either buttressed or braced walls.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                        Have you cooked in it yet, it looks from the pics that it might have cold spots to the sides of the door?
                        Hi Brickie in oz,

Haven't cooked in it yet. However was hoping to do so, this coming weekend.

Don't you just love my new avant guarde "tunnell" design. My thinking was that a pizza or bread would be that much fresher if it were cooked in this "flow through" design.

As for cold spots! Dont worry, I covered that point. Just light 3 fires. One at the back and another at each end. Brilliant! Dont you think?

My only concern to date is that the front door opening may be a little high at 69% of vault height. what do you think? Is this a problem I should be concerned about?

Cheers Fornoa.

Comment

Originally posted by fornoa View Post

Don't you just love my new avant guarde "tunnell" design. My thinking was that a pizza or bread would be that much fresher if it were cooked in this "flow through" design.
                          Well its different Ill be interested to see how it operates.
                          All ovens are flow through, cold air in at the bottom, hot out at the top.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

"because of the relative simplicity of the brick laying."

Base your decision on what you want to use it for. The dome style is not that much more difficult to build than the vault in terms of bricklaying.

Comment

Working...
                            X