X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ggoose
    replied
    Re: Big Mike's 42" Pompeii

You are making headway. Looks like the arch is soon to follow. I am a few days behind you...hope to set the hearth insulation tomorrow. Keep up the good work!

gene

Leave a comment:

• md_massimino
    replied

Now the real work begins. My indispensable tool as about as low-fi as it gets, nothing but a piece of wood to set the angle of the courses.

Leave a comment:

• md_massimino
    replied

A few pictures from last Fall, working on the pad and hearth

Leave a comment:

• md_massimino
    started a topic Big Mike's 42" Pompeii

Big Mike's 42" Pompeii

OK, so I've been lurking long enough I guess. I started the oven late last year and only completed the pad, base, hearth and insulating layer before the weather turned too cold. I had a plethora of other honey-do projects I had to finish before work could get started again but I'm full bore.

I'm four and a half courses into the dome before running out of bricks and calling it quits last weekend. Today I picked up more and got angle iron to complete the entry tunnel. No arches here, not interested. They are gorgeous and if I were a more detail oriented guy I'd be going that route, but I'm not really going for art. The oven is a means to an end for me, I won't be happy until I'm sliding a suckling pig out of it this Fall.

I've taken a few pictures, not a lot though. I'll post them in a little bit.
Working...
X