My latest precast oven, struck today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My latest precast oven, struck today

hello sonomacast - I saw in the post you cast every other section and then came back in and cast the rest. What stopped the sections from sticking together? It looked like the sections were keyed or overlapping. How did you do this in the mold?

Anthony

Comment

Well at last I have bought a trailer and have built the base for the oven, laid the vermiculite insulation and hope to start installing the oven next week, I'll keep a photo diary of the installation and shall post the photo's here,

Comment

Have you estimated the total weight of the oven?
        Did you get a single or double axle trailer?
        Do you know the axle loading for the trailer?
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I purchased a horse trailer, It shouldn't struggle with the weight. I have spoke to a few trailer guys who say "No Sweat", The oven is more or less "Bloody Heavy"

Comment

What recipe for your mud did you use?
            Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Originally posted by sonomacast View Post
              I purchased a horse trailer, It shouldn't struggle with the weight. I have spoke to a few trailer guys who say "No Sweat", The oven is more or less "Bloody Heavy"
              Great idea. You could probably have a complete mobile kitchen in that thing.
              Perhaps you could cook a horse in the oven?

Comment

In awe, Sono

I am looking forward to seeing the new pics, and would add my request for more on the mold you made; is it a lost mold or could you begin a production run, I would gladly meet with you and bring a few bags to make another. An amazing work... it must make the best of pizza?

Comment

I kept the mold however it got a little damaged in striking, no big deal though. I actually thought of building and selling molds for ovens but to get a mold of my oven in fibreglass cost a fortune, maybe latex? I am sure there is a way as my mold is very crude and quite heavy.

Comment

well, why don't we build and sell ovens? After all if fornobravo can turn a holiday to Naples into an international business and then start making Neapolitan ovens in California, we can at least do Italian ovens made in Devon for the British market. I'll do the website and get the orders, you run the production team!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9lgZ3V90o
                    Latex mold that allows for wet pouring and vibration to make a more dense, but thinner concrete. The newest FornoBravo ones are I think less than 50mm making them lighter but stronger.
                    Last edited by casper; 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

You need to make the moulds out of fiberglass.
                      You will be in direct competition with FB UK.

Comment

As far as i know fbuk dont manufacture anything. Not even for R & D. Should we stop making cars or boats because others do that better?

Comment

Originally posted by casper View Post
                          As far as i know fbuk dont manufacture anything. Not even for R & D. Should we stop making cars or boats because others do that better?
                          Certainly not. But I think FB UK import from FB USA and then resell them. It is just that this forum is run by FB. Yes it's a free market and I believe there should be more local manufacture. The truth is that trying to compete these days with $1 per hour labour from Chinese manufactured goods is really hard. This includes FB manufactured ovens that use American labour.
                          Last edited by david s; 04-29-2012, 02:00 AM.

Comment

I think James Bairey would be delighted. Its a passion for him that he wants others to share. Ever since he set this up he has offered encouragement to think we can do it too. Thats a big difference in attitude between entrepreneurs in California and here. Heck, he might even offer direct advice and support!

Comment

Well I have just lost my Job, Construction is tight over here, So I guess it's back to Oven building

Comment

I am planing on casting an oven also, so how much of castable refractory did you end up using for dome itself?

Comment

Working...
                                X