No announcement yet.

Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jake's In Mass (Started July 3, 2011)

Also, I'm in Westborough, near Worcester.

Comment

jatsrt,
      I used blanket and perlcrete because I wanted an igloo style oven. I like the look. I also covered the perlcrete in 2 coats of fortified surface bonding cement. (Like stucco, but more waterproof). In the end the sides of the outside of the dome were flush with the 96" hearth width. Here it is:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...oca-16053.html

Comment

Very close to Charlton. I assume you got through the Springfield tornados ok?

Comment

Some minor paio furniture damage only when the weather came through.

Both of you guys have great looking ovens. So, you are completely correct on all the tolerances, very tight. I'll use it as an excuse to push myself.

When all is said and done, the slab will pretty much be completely hidden. Just enough to help hold up the outer masonry work.

Also, Instead of assuming 8" for studs and backer board, framing around the dome allows the insulation to come almost to the outer sheeting if needed. So there is much less "empty" space inside and you gain almost 7".

I had a design that I was going to igloo, and I had another 8" all sides for that, in the end I decided I wanted a hut instead.

Comment

We're watchin'. Good luck, though it doesn't look like you'll need it! Glad to hear not much damage.
            Last edited by rlodad; 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM. Reason: Horrible grammar.

Comment

Started on the base this weekend, didn't get much time to work on it(family visiting). Hope to have the base and hearth done and framed by the end of next weekend.

Comment

Just get done what you can. It goes faster than you think. What's with the extra blocks in the corners? When you get done with the stand and hearth, the rest is more thinking, less heavy lifting. Looks good so far!

Comment

I used some 1/2 blocks for some extra hearth size and to offset the 3/8" lost by dry stacking blocks. Gave me a couple of extra inches from my base design overall without going a full 8-16".

Comment

Gathering some supplies, thanks to my dad who has access to agricultural supplies.

Comment

Getting there, I wanted to get the hearth done before this coming weekend, but probably not going to happen. I have a playground build happening so it will probably be a couple of weeks before I get to it. So far so good though.

Comment

Quick update. This weekend was spent working on a playground at our preschool. However, I am ready to get the rebar going on the hearth and I will probably pour that this weekend with the insulating layer too.

I'm the fat one in the pics and my brother Matt is the bald one. Total we had 20 people working on the playground.

Comment

Fat? Looks like relaxed muscle to me! Trust me, I'm a doctor...

Comment

So, here is a little something different. Looking at a lot of posts about Thermocouples. While I understand the "get to know" your oven mentality, I plan on using my over a lot for bread and longer roasts too, so more data on the temperature profile will be well worth it.

So, in true nerd fashion and not wanting to pay for a commercial unit. I came up with the attached schematic and board design capable of monitoring up to six thermocouples. Could easily be less by not populating the parts, or more by changing the schematic some.

There is no interface to this, it is powered with a rechargeable LiPo battery and has a bluetooth connection. I have written a simple Android application to communicate with it allowing me to calibrate and view temperatures, as well as log the temperature over time.

If anyone else is interested in the electronics part of this let me know and I can post more information.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jake,
                              It's really taking shape!
                              You're catching up to me!
                              My hearth slab is curing and next I need to go buy the portland cement and perlite for the hearth insulation.
                              How expensive of a setup will it be for the thermocouples and circuitry?
                              Where are you planning to place your t/c?
                              Thanks,
                              Jeff
                              Jeff
                              My 42-inch build

Comment

Jeff,
                                The thermocouples themselves are not too expensive:
                                High Temperature Thermocouple for Kiln [TC-K-KLN] - $25.30 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry
                                Ceramic Sheath for Kiln thermocouple [TC-K-KLNSH] - $18.00 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

Those I will put right to the surface with just a skim of mortar over them. I will probably put one in the center of the floor, one in the top of the dome and one 1/2 way up.

Then:
                                K Type Thermocouple (6 ft. cable) English thread [TC-K6] - $6.85 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

I am going to drill and embed a nut into a few bricks to screw these into. Probably the same locations but these will be for saturation temperature.

They will all be replaceable.

Separate of the cost of the thermocouples themselves. I went a little expensive to make it easy, I could definitely do it with cheaper electronics. Also, I am getting everything from sparkfun.com, not the cheapest, but definitely the easiest.

Each Thermocouple IC cost $10, so that is $60, I could have made it use just 1, but that's no fun! The BlueTooth is $30, could have done a screen for $10, but it seemed fun to make it BlueTooth. Batter is $10, PCB is $10, Arduino is $20.

For me I already have a lot of these parts hanging around, so I'm only really buying $50 worth of stuff right now.

If I did it all from scratch, and had nothing on hand I am probably looking at:
                                Thermocouples: $150
                                Electronics: < $100

I attached an image of the prototype, really pretty simple and very accurate thanks to the MAX6675 IC

Comment

Working...
                                X